Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Windows

Feedback Score

Default Electric Windows

Ive got electric windows in my 86 Tcoupe, not sure if the Birds ever came with manual crank windows at all. Wondering if anyone has ever converted the electric to manual?
    I'm stripping the car for a track car, and want to cut the weight, but able to crank the glass....until down the road when I go lexan.

Thanks

Feedback Score

i looked into this when i fist got my 87 T. It was an uber-rare option to get crank windows, only a handful have been spotted, and apparently, the crank window setup weighs more than the power window setup. Also, Fox body mustang cranks are different.

Hope that helps.

sincerely,
    A guy who likes crank windows.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I have seen two sets of hand crank Windows on the 83-86 cars and one on the 87-88 cars.these were pretty much only on the stripper models with no passenger side mirror and no options. I have a set I swapped onto my 86 cougar off an 83 or 84. The other only set I've seen? On my first car, which was one of those stripper models.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Feedback Score

The manuals probably are heavier....I know the doors on my 67 Mustang are not light with manual guts....maybe I will do like the old pro stock guys did...disconnect the motors, regulators and rig a strap/latch...pull it up, latch it. LOL...Lexan is looking better and better.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I've got, or had a set of manual window doors from an 87-8 Tbird. I hesitate to mention it because I'm not sure if I scrapped them when I purged a lot of the crap I had. IIRC, the door skins were utter shit, but I was keeping them strictly for the cranks and related bits.
    '84 Mustang, work in (sloooooooow) progress...
    '87 Stang notch
    1994 Ford F150 Flareside
    1997 Explorer V8 conversion (in progress)
    1998 Explorer 5.0
    and a couple of tractors. Ford, of course.
    FORD power, for life!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by bootleggers deluxe View Post
    i looked into this when i fist got my 87 T. It was an uber-rare option to get crank windows, only a handful have been spotted, and apparently, the crank window setup weighs more than the power window setup. Also, Fox body mustang cranks are different.

Hope that helps.

sincerely,
    A guy who likes crank windows.
    Wasn't a uber rare option... It was rare that a combo package which included PW & other desirable features was not ordered... Ford packaged options in such a way that if you ordered a couple things you wanted, was probably as cheap to get complete package...

I've seen a '88 Sport without PW...

My other rides (that actually do run & drive)

1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed << New 49th Birthday Picture

1972 Comet GT - 306 C4

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Out of 15 cars I've owned and hundreds I've seen junkyarding, I've only seen one. Id call that rare.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I'd call it uncommon, but not rare.
    '84 Mustang, work in (sloooooooow) progress...
    '87 Stang notch
    1994 Ford F150 Flareside
    1997 Explorer V8 conversion (in progress)
    1998 Explorer 5.0
    and a couple of tractors. Ford, of course.
    FORD power, for life!

Feedback Score

Ok , how about uncommonly rare?

Ive got a vent window manual window Bird. Dont know how many of those are out there.

Feedback Score

as an odd coincidence, i actually just got a passenger side parts door that was a crank window door. has the mirror delete on it. Now, if i could only find the drivers crank, i dont care about the weight, i just like crank windows!