Thread: Post-Swap Tach issues

Feedback Score

Default Post-Swap Tach issues

I'm new to not just this thread, but Thunderbirds as well, but I just purchased a 1983 Turbo coup from my uncle...

However he had decided that the standard turbo 4 wasn't enough, and did his own engine swap. From what I understand, here's how the car is as it sits in my driveway:

-original 1983 body
    -V8 302 out of his friend's 1988 Mustang (wrecked the body but the engine survived)
    --That engine was supposed to have EFI but he couldn't figure that out so he put a carburetor on it.
    - he never adjusted the in-dash tach so he put in a Summit tach next the shifter (pictured)
    TBird-reference-2.jpg

Now, since the car was originally spec'd for the turbo 4, the tach in the dash reads double, so I'm constantly looking at redlining it, or I have to go out of my way to look at the Summit tach. Is there any way that I can recalibrate the tach in the dash, or is it set and the only option is replacement instead of adjustment?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Longhorn View Post
    Now, since the car was originally spec'd for the turbo 4, the tach in the dash reads double, so I'm constantly looking at redlining it, or I have to go out of my way to look at the Summit tach. Is there any way that I can recalibrate the tach in the dash, or is it set and the only option is replacement instead of adjustment?
    AFAIK only the '87 & '88 tachs are easily recalibrated, that requires disassembly and replacement of a resistor inside... There were no analog V8 tach options for the early models, cluster is totally different than '85-'88...

My other rides (that actually do run & drive)

1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed << New 49th Birthday Picture

1972 Comet GT - 306 C4

Feedback Score

That's what I was afraid of; anything I could find about recalibration was for those years.
    Although since the speedometer is also off (any time I'm going under 35mph it bounces +/-10mph), that makes most of that dash cluster inaccurate, I might just take it out and use it as a template to build a fresh one out of aftermarket gauges. It might not be pretty, but it's had enough other atrocities committed to it there's no hope of it being brought to factory spec/show car status anyway.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Speedo jump is usually solved with a new speedo cable. Mine did this a couple of times over its life and that was always the solution.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Aerocoupe View Post
    Speedo jump is usually solved with a new speedo cable. Mine did this a couple of times over its life and that was always the solution.
    Used to be a common fix for jittery speedo, pull core out of cable, lube and reinstall...

My other rides (that actually do run & drive)

1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed << New 49th Birthday Picture

1972 Comet GT - 306 C4