Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trouble codes and chaos

Feedback Score

No Turbo Coupe had a MAP sensor, ever...

No vac to BARO sensor...

My other rides (that actually do run & drive)

1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed << New 49th Birthday Picture

1972 Comet GT - 306 C4

Feedback Score

No hose....do not connect it to vac source. It is in fact a BAP.

Code 34..... Look for a sticker probably close to the hood latch under the hood that mentions an EGR mod. There was a recall that effectively disables the EGR and will throw the code. If no sticker....look for a lime green/black vacuum delay valve close to the EGR valve.

I'm surprised you aren't getting a knock sensor code. Usually you have to tap the intake with wrench or something for it to not show up.

John

Feedback Score

Something to test as a side note- fuel pressure. These cars, especially when they sit, the hose inside the gas tank that goes from the pump to the top plate will rot. You'll get fuel, but inadequate pressure. It will run, but it will run like shit. Seeing that O2 sensor reporting lean can be a sign of this.
    CoogarXR

1986 LTD Wagon
    1985 Cougar XR-7

Feedback Score

Thanks guys. I will disconnect that line as soon as I can get to the car this weekend. Hopefully it will make it run better.

John, maybe the code gods thought I was blessed with too many already and decided to give me a pass on the knock sensor. Yeah I couldn’t be so lucky. I think I did see the green part you speak of. I will look closer for that when I can. I ordered a Gillis manual boost controller today as the one on the car is broken. The top pops right off and won’t seal. Perhaps that could be causing a vacuum leak as well?

Ahhhh okay thanks for the heads up CoogarXR. I was going to replace the fuel pump too at some point so that's very good to know. Maybe I will see if I can grab a pressure tester and connect it to the rail just to see what I am getting.

Feedback Score

If you mean the factory boost controller won't seal.....then yes that's a source of unmetered air. You can bypass it by pulling both lines off the BCS and joining them. That will give you full boost as soon as you can make it. Personally I would plug both lines to keep boost at minimum untill you get things sorted out.

John

Feedback Score

That’s correct John. The top is broken off (where the vacuum hoses attach) and I can look inside and see the copper windings. Ahhh okay I didn’t know about attaching them together or plugging. Thanks for that tip as I will plug them before I add the Gillis. I need to work out all the bugs.

On a side note, SS Exhaust manifolds from the likes of XS. Any good or stay away? My stock one has been welded a few times and some hero decided to weld part of the Turbo flange to the manifold. Guess what? I have an exhaust leak.

Feedback Score

I can't comment on the aftermarket manifold..... I still have the stocker. Are you sure it's been welded and not some goop epoxy....cast isn't easy to weld and I can't imagine someone welding the turbo to manifold.

There are a few Turbocoupe specific sites that might have more info on manifolds.....NATO and TF come to mind. You can also look at Stinger's site ....I don't know if he offers manifolds.

John

Feedback Score

Yeah I believe they did weld it. I am contemplating taking it all down. I guess eventually I will have to do it anyways.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

Awe man that sucks!!!! Judging by the soot, you may be leaking at the turbo to down elbow. That rubber hose for the EGR pipe probably isn't helping either....looks like it's seen better days.

John

Feedback Score

Good eye John. You would be totally correct as that is where the leak is coming from. The other bad news is the 2 bolts holding the exhaust flange on are rusted and would not budge. So it looks like I may be removing everything with the manifold/Turbo as an assembly. That’s why I was contemplating getting one of those stainless manifolds for cheap, but worried about them cracking. Heard that XS Power company is essentially the same as SSAutochrome that gets mixed reviews. Stinger no longer makes one Yeah this weekend I will be removing almost all the vacuum hoses and replacing. They are very questionable.