Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Oil Leak - Ideas?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

To start with, you'd be in the market for a transmission that would bolt up to a 5.0.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0
    GT40P, TFS-1, KB domes, 30#, MAF conversion, Explorer GT40 Upper/Lower, Smog delete, Wide Ratio AOD Mod, Unlocked Speedo, 3G Charging System Upgrade, Hi-Torque Mini Starter, 3.73 LSD, BBK 1 5/8 unequal headers, H-Pipe.

88 Thunderbird/Cougar EVTM
    (Thanks to Trinom for hosting)

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TheFoeYouKnow View Post
    To start with, you'd be in the market for a transmission that would bolt up to a 5.0.
    The 5.0/302/289(from '65)/255/351C&W/240/250/300/3.8/4.2 all share the same bellhousing bolt pattern... Also the early 4.6('91 to mid '92) and a few 400 used same pattern... Anything with a AOD trans is same, as there is only one bolt pattern for those trans(early mod motors used AOD, I had one)... The OP should have a C5, AFAIK those all have the small block pattern...

BTW the balance on 6cyl is different than v8 so although the transmission bolts up, would need correct flexplate for swapped engine...

Usually the 6cyl versions are built to a lighter duty standard, so a high milage unit may not be up to v8 duty(at least for long)...

My other rides (that actually do run & drive)

1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed << New 49th Birthday Picture

1972 Comet GT - 306 C4

Feedback Score

Thanks. What cars would be best to get a 5.0 from?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I had a 5.0 to start with, but when I had to rebuild, I found it was cheaper to get a complete explorer engine with low miles than to rebuild and buy the heads and intake from the same, but that's the beginning of a much longer story.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0
    GT40P, TFS-1, KB domes, 30#, MAF conversion, Explorer GT40 Upper/Lower, Smog delete, Wide Ratio AOD Mod, Unlocked Speedo, 3G Charging System Upgrade, Hi-Torque Mini Starter, 3.73 LSD, BBK 1 5/8 unequal headers, H-Pipe.

Feedback Score

What about accesory brackets, etc? Would explorer still be a good engine to get??

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

You'll need fox accessories and a fox timing cover, and a few other things, but again, I stayed EFI.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TheFoeYouKnow View Post
    You'll need fox accessories and a fox timing cover, and a few other things, but again, I stayed EFI.

Are these parts easy to come by??

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Atengnr, check out CoolCats.net. Good info on the site for swaps, upgrades etc., on our cars.
    87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter 3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates, Work In Progress....... ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )