Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mid Output 5.0

Feedback Score

Thanks for all the responses guys. It sounds like a lot of folks advocate for going the whole way with the swap, which I can understand from a cost/time vs performance aspect. The fact that the H.O. conversion has been done to our cars by so many people is a testament to the greatness of the mod. That said, I still have a reservation and one question. My reservation is that because I'm using this as my daily driver I cannot have it out of commission for over a weekend so I would rather not risk doing the cam/injectors/computer/fuel pump/misc. This leads me to my question. IF my heads end up clearing, is there anything wrong with installing GT40 heads on a stock motor, adding a 60mm throttle body to the stock intake, and getting a full dual exhaust system installed? I get that it's not the most optimal configuration but will I have problems? If I do what I'm proposing, I will have the heads and exhaust in place for later in the event that I decide to do the full conversion.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

You're still going to run out of fuel right away, and the stock intake wont take a 60mm TB. The blade will hit the opening on the EGR cooler. If you have time to do the heads, you have time to do the cam. The cam is only a couple more hours work at that point. The intake will be off and apart to do either the heads OR the cam, so swapping the injectors at that time is 30 minutes work at most, and swapping the EEC is another 20 minutes.
    What WILL take time is futzing with the exhaust. If you have to put something off, put off the exhaust. The stock manifolds will still bolt to the GT40 heads, so you can tackle the exhaust the next Saturday or whatever. You have to know that the pipes from the H or X pipe to the mufflers will have to be MADE in 2 1/2 or extended if you get the 2 1/4 ones for Mustang.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0
    GT40P, TFS-1, KB domes, 30#, MAF conversion, Explorer GT40 Upper/Lower, Smog delete, Wide Ratio AOD Mod, Unlocked Speedo, 3G Charging System Upgrade, Hi-Torque Mini Starter, 3.73 LSD, BBK 1 5/8 unequal headers, H-Pipe.

88 Thunderbird/Cougar EVTM
    (Thanks to Trinom for hosting)

Feedback Score

Makes sense. I'll likely take the car to an exhaust shop to have them deal with this part of the build. I don't have an experience with bending/fitting the exhaust plumbing and not really much interest. I'd rather someone with the right tools and know how take care of it. Right now I'm just waiting for the weather to warm up. It's been bitter cold here lately and I can't work on anything!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

What about the wiring that will need to be addressed in the EEC harness going from SD to MAF?

https://lmr.com/products/install-fox...air-conversion

Not a huge deal but you need to be aware of what you need to change. You also need to know that an A9P or A9L EEC will work with an automatic trans car or a manual car as long as you pay attention to the wiring.

Manual/Automatic EECs
    There is a hardware difference between an auto processor & a manual processor. The difference is the way the NDS [neutral drive switch, manual transmission] & the NSS [neutral safety switch, auto transmission] are wired. They are both wired to the same pin#30 but the auto trans wiring grounds the pin to the starter solenoid & the manual grounds to signal return, during crank mode there is a voltage spike sent to pin-30 so the auto trans processor has a diode on pin 30 where as the manual processor doesn't, most of the time this won't cause a problem unless you get into a prolonged crank condition.

Those that want to convert their automatics to manuals, and swap the ECM, need to clip the wire going to pin 30 or else the ECM will fry the trace off the board. This leaves the manual EEC unable to dump codes, which looks for the loop through the neutral sensing switch of the T5 transmission.

O2 Sensor Wiring
    Make sure you have a 5 speed O2 sensor harness when using an A9L or you will fry the trace also. The damage is common when people mismatch harnesses and use an automatic O2 sensor harness with an A9L computer.
    For a Manual: The looped wire should connect the Blue/Yellow wire to the Purple/Yellow wire.
    For an Auto: The looped wire should connect the White/Pink wire to the Purple/ Yellow wire.
    If the white/pink wire( start voltage) is connected to the blue/yellow wire. It will fry "ANY" ECM you put in there. No matter if it’s an Auto or Manual ECM

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I didn't think he was going MAF. Sounded like he was staying SD for now, in which case it's not a thing. But he WILL need either HO O2 sensors or extensions when he does the exhaust. If he stays SD, he should be just fine with the harness he has. Since he already HAS a 5.0, we can assume he has an automatic, and since SD 5.0 HO Mustang EECs are pretty much a 1 or 2 year thing, the chances of ending up with one for his HO swap are slim. To that end, be sure you know what EEC codes will work ahead of time. Any A9L, A9P or really A9x is MAF, and IF you're going MAF, get an A9P so you don't have to change any harnesses. If you're not going to end up needing a tune, you'll like the spark tables in the A9P better. For SD, look for Mark VII EECs, there is literally no chance of getting one that will give you trouble. Marks have a speed limiter, though, so think about installing a toggle switch in the VSS wire to the EEC if that's something that bothers you.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0
    GT40P, TFS-1, KB domes, 30#, MAF conversion, Explorer GT40 Upper/Lower, Smog delete, Wide Ratio AOD Mod, Unlocked Speedo, 3G Charging System Upgrade, Hi-Torque Mini Starter, 3.73 LSD, BBK 1 5/8 unequal headers, H-Pipe.

Feedback Score

What's the speed limit in the Mark VII EEC?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

First, if your speedo stops counting at 85, unlock it so it keeps counting. When I had a Mark VII EEC, I ran into the limiter at 116 while I was chasing a Mercedes SL on the freeway. This pissed me off so bad, I put a switch in the VSS to the EEC. Mustang EECs have their limiter set to 127.5 and this is the value that disables the limiter. If you were going to tune a SD EEC, this is the value you'd set the limiters to. But you're not going to tune a SD EEC, because definition files for them don't exist that I know of, and as your thread title states, you're going for "Mid-Output".
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Regerding your oxygen sensors.... Bosch makes longer wired ones that will work with an exhaust where the sensor bung is further downstream. The Bosch part # is 13942 for the standard length and 13953 for the longer wire sensor....
    -- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !! -- 87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's! http://www.fquick.com/V8Demon

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I also recommend doing the cam/eec/heads/intake all together. You're most of the way to the cam with heads/intake off, as Foe stated, it's not that much more time/work to get the cam out.

I'd say in your case if you could find an HO block, or even a decent bottom end, clean 'er up nice and work that over, then when it's time, drop it in and wire it and plumb it and run it...

Don't forget the little stuff too, new wires, probable keep some dollars on hands for a new hose in case one gets cut or just needs replaced, belts, mounts, etc.

It's the little shit that will hang you up and make you question everything in the universe.

Don't forget the PB blaster, some of the exhaust manifold bolts are a real motherfawker.

Keep us updated as you make progress.
    '84 Mustang, work in (sloooooooow) progress...
    '87 Stang notch
    1994 Ford F150 Flareside
    1997 Explorer V8 conversion (in progress)
    1998 Explorer 5.0
    and a couple of tractors. Ford, of course.
    FORD power, for life!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderbirdSport302 View Post

It's the little shit that will hang you up and make you question everything in the universe.
    I dont think ive ever read more true words.