Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4.6l and tranny swap into my '88 T-bird

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    It will fit, its not much different then a 4.6 swap on a fox stang. I wouldn't mind seeing it done. If you already have the block and parts, I say go for it.

First thing though, mustsng motor mounts don't work with the stock k-member. I would probably swap to a tubular unit for more clearance, adjustability and to use stang mounts.

Wiring will have to be taken from either a donor car or wired up using a stand alone aftermarket job.

Everything else should pretty much go right in.
    Ive dropped an adjustable k-member in from lmr, so thats taken care of. Also, the 4.6 and trans will be coming out of my '08 p71, the rear axle busted and figured i could just use that beast for the donor. I have the wiring and everything. Also, both the engine and trans have been rebuilt with better internals and last i checked it was pushing 301hp at the wheels( i plan on getting those numbers up)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan88bird View Post
    So, would it be worth more my while if i just dropped a t-5 in and beefed up the 302? that would always be an option. there is a local guy selling an HO motor for 400$ i could nab and beef that up perhaps?
    Honestly, it would be much easier.

Which motor and wiring is the car setup for now? If its already a 302/aod car, then its a bolt in swap with very few changes to drop in or covert to a h.o. motor.

Check out coolcats.net and do some reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Its not on the road but the motor swap is pretty much done.

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/...63-My-85-TBird

4.6 k member spaced 5/8 down under main rails 1/8 under lower mount. Modded rad support to fit 4.6 coolers. I modded the trans cross member mounts but I believe you can purchase a custom cross member. Custom drive shaft. Computer sent in to eliminate PATS and set up for a return type fuel system. Lots of things to consider, hood clearance, exhaust clearance, custom ac lines etc.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by bodyman View Post
    It’s not on the road but the motor swap is pretty much done.

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/...63-My-85-TBird

4.6 k member spaced 5/8” down under main rails 1/8” under lower mount. Modded rad support to fit 4.6 coolers. I modded the trans cross member mounts but I believe you can purchase a custom cross member. Custom drive shaft. Computer sent in to eliminate PATS and set up for a return type fuel system. Lots of things to consider, hood clearance, exhaust clearance, custom ac lines etc.
    What a great project bodyman! I would love to see it finished! Also, I have the mechanical ability to do it so I'm not too worried �� I can't wait to read your entire write up

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Found it on NATO under modular swap

http://natomessageboard.com/ubbthrea...rue#Post247500
    1988 Thunderbird Sport. No engine, no trans, turbocoupe disk diff with 3:27 gears, 31 spline axles and Cobra clutch packs, Turbocoupe front brakes.

Bought this car back as an old project car.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

With the amount of Crown Vic P51 cars out there, that would be a good swap.
    1988 Thunderbird Sport. No engine, no trans, turbocoupe disk diff with 3:27 gears, 31 spline axles and Cobra clutch packs, Turbocoupe front brakes.

Bought this car back as an old project car.