Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: 4.6l and tranny swap into my '88 T-bird

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7
    Feedback Score
    0

    Question 4.6l and tranny swap into my '88 T-bird

    Looking at my options here... i have a messed up AOD and kinda want my 4.6 and 4r75e that ive dropped so much cash into to marry and make me a nice little demon child to drive... Would it be possible to do the swap? if so, any suggestions on where to start?

    If its not something that is feasible, do yall have suggestions on tranny problem fix, and for more power? Im new to the platform and have only run the newer stuff... till now.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    camdenton, mo
    Posts
    186
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan88bird View Post
    Looking at my options here... i have a messed up AOD and kinda want my 4.6 and 4r75e that ive dropped so much cash into to marry and make me a nice little demon child to drive... Would it be possible to do the swap? if so, any suggestions on where to start?

    If its not something that is feasible, do yall have suggestions on tranny problem fix, and for more power? Im new to the platform and have only run the newer stuff... till now.
    nab a explorer motor and put springs and a cam in and nab a low mile aod from a junkyard and throw a shift kit in it. a 4.6 swap will require a lot more money, make less power and be a giant pain

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    East Coast Virginia
    Posts
    10,212
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Only 4.6 swap I remember was over on NATO. If I remember details correctly, guy had a dying Turbo Coupe so bought a 5-speed, '00-something Stang as it's replacement that needed rear tires... He totaled it on the way to buy tires, so swapped the engine/trans and all the electronics into Bird... There were several pictures, no idea if they are still online but since you have the engine would be worth checking out...

    Myself, I'd never swap a 4.6 into anything, but not all of us feel that way...






    My other rides (that actually do run & drive)

    1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed << New 49th Birthday Picture

    1972 Comet GT - 306 C4

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Utah.
    Posts
    9,092
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default

    It will fit, its not much different then a 4.6 swap on a fox stang. I wouldn't mind seeing it done. If you already have the block and parts, I say go for it.

    First thing though, mustsng motor mounts don't work with the stock k-member. I would probably swap to a tubular unit for more clearance, adjustability and to use stang mounts.

    Wiring will have to be taken from either a donor car or wired up using a stand alone aftermarket job.

    Everything else should pretty much go right in.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    8,369
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

    Default

    I wouldn't bother unless it's a 32v 4.6

    But since you already have the engine/trans.....
    '87 Mustang notch; 5 lug, PBR calipers, 3.55 gears, SFC's, mild 5.0 with '40P's, Cobra intake, E cam, BBK headers and X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust.
    "still slower than your grandma's scooter"..

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Jenks, OK
    Posts
    2,209
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

    Default

    I would suggest that you get a Fox Mustang k-member for a 4.6 motor as that will greatly help with the swap. Mechanically this is an easy swap but electronically this is not for those that cannot use a DVM or wiring diagrams. If this is your daily driver then you may want to back up and punt. It sounds like your 4.6 is making good power if you have dropped some change into it so if it was me I would go for it but I enjoy a challenge.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    So, would it be worth more my while if i just dropped a t-5 in and beefed up the 302? that would always be an option. there is a local guy selling an HO motor for 400$ i could nab and beef that up perhaps?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonmount View Post
    nab a explorer motor and put springs and a cam in and nab a low mile aod from a junkyard and throw a shift kit in it. a 4.6 swap will require a lot more money, make less power and be a giant pain
    So, would it be worth more my while if i just dropped a t-5 in and beefed up the 302? that would always be an option. there is a local guy selling an HO motor for 400$ i could nab and beef that up perhaps?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderbirdSport302 View Post
    I wouldn't bother unless it's a 32v 4.6

    But since you already have the engine/trans.....
    Id love to drop a 32v 4.6 or even a coyote in it but my budget is a little too tight for that right now :/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aerocoupe View Post
    I would suggest that you get a Fox Mustang k-member for a 4.6 motor as that will greatly help with the swap. Mechanically this is an easy swap but electronically this is not for those that cannot use a DVM or wiring diagrams. If this is your daily driver then you may want to back up and punt. It sounds like your 4.6 is making good power if you have dropped some change into it so if it was me I would go for it but I enjoy a challenge.
    I have a pal that works with wiring i think could handle it. Also, i have been dropping in parts from LMR so ive already taken care of the K-member!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •