Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fast EFI and ram air......

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

Default Fast EFI and ram air......

I have been thinking..... I have the GT40 intake, X3Z Cobra computer, 70mm throttle body, 24# injectors and so on......It's a good set up. Now here's the thing..

I drive my car probably 10 miles a day 90% of the time. I have thought many times about my hood scoops actually being functional. Which led me to think about the Fast EFI setup. I'm simply THINKING about the swap, topping it off with a '71 Mustang style ram air induction air cleaner that would seal to the hood. Something different, and functional. I may or may not lose a few horsepower over what I have, and either way, not a big deal to me at this point as I don't race the car any more, and I like it's self learning capabilities. I've got more studying to do on this swap. I know I can sell my current EFI parts to get some of my funds back. Well, except for the GT-40 upper, I'm keeping that. The lower is T-Moss ported, plus the other parts. I kind of like the idea of opening the hood, and seeing the big blue air cleaner with the rubber seal on top and fabbing a panel to mount under the hood for the air cleaner to seal up to. Painted to match the hood of course and carefully done.

Any opinions on this swap?
    Last edited by vinnietbird; 10-25-2017 at 10:51 PM.
    '88 Sport--T-5,HURST shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Not sure on the swap, but calling dibs on the Moss lower....
    Mike

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

I'm still trying to decide. Still educating myself.
    '88 Sport--T-5,HURST shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Ive been looking into FItech for later on down the road. Their big kit handles 1000+ horse self tuning self learning all in one and power adder friendly. I think in the long run you'll see some real gains replacing the dated factory style fuel injection for something like fast or fitech. I think its mainly up to your preference. I personally think it would be really cool. It would be a compliment to your hood
    87 LX 302, E7's, ARP bolts, Mallory Unilite Distributor, MSD 6A, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Flowtech Long tubes, 5Speed, 8.8w/4.10's, Granatelli Tube K-Member & LCA's, Coil Overs, KYB 4ways, CHE arms, 3" rear drop springs, BBK C/C Plates, SN-95 5-lug stuff, Fuel Cell, Battery Relocation, Mac Mufflers, Stinger Tails, Sunpro gauges, Custom Lip Spoiler

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

It sounds cool but you'll probably spend $$$$ and not really gain anything. It'll look cool though, so there's that.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Do a Vic Jr efi and a 4150 throttle body.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

http://www.stinger-performance.com/universalparts.html

The PIMPx system is very capable and will do anything you can fathom for the most part. It's essentially a Megasquirt packaged to be used in our Fords.
    It's Gumby's fault.

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

The idea originally came about to have good performance, and make my hood a functional ram air hood. I do like the IDEA of having a '71 Mustang style Ram Air induction air cleaner assembly. So I'm trying to see what the pros and cons are.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I think its a very cool idea, I myself had thought about doing this. Fitech, Fast, Holley, Edelbrock all have these swaps now and are fairly reasonable..........I say do it!!
    88 sport,TW heads, comp xe270hr, cobra u/Tmoss ported lower, 65 mm throttle body, under drives,smog delete,
    1.7 roller rockers, cai, k&n, bbk adj regulator, 76mm Pro-m,all MSD ign. MSD dist,18 base timing, 3g alt.1 5/8 ceramic headers, 255lph walbro, 2.5" h-pipe, flowmasters, silverfox valvebody, 3.73 gear,
    http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...d/DSCF0185.jpg ( RIP : ( )

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

I'm sure thinking about it. I can't do anything til January, but the idea sounds better and better the more I think about it. The whole idea isn't really about getting more power but retaining good power, dependability, and doing something different.

I do wonder what can be removed if the Fast EFI systen (or Fitech) is installed. Does the Main harness get pulled along with the computer and lket the new system do it's job? And, does the computer effect anything else in the car that would need to be addressed other than the engine management? I have to learn more before I can obligate myself.

If I do get the system, I'd get the "master kit" that has everything, fuel pump, O2 sensors, etc. Start from scratch.