Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non-start question

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Well, FWIW: Turned out to be the starter solenoid. Seems the neutral safety switch has been disconnected the entire 23 years I've owned the car and I never knew :O
    1986 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Turbo-charged 5-speed.
    Owned 22 years.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Well...here we go again Evidently is was NOT the starter solenoid. Car refused to start again this morning on the way to work when I stopped at a market. Had to have her towed again. So - we've ruled out the neutral safety switch and the starter solenoid. Would the starter going bad cause this? When I depress the clutch and turn the key to start, all I get are radio, clock and gauges. I'm hearing NO sound, no click, no nothing like the car is even trying to start. I would think that if it was something with the fuel supply (pump, inertia switch, etc.) that she would, at least, try to turn over. It's like the ignition isn't even trying or I've turned the key to 'accessory.' Key cylinder and ignition switch were just replaced a few months ago and I've had no problems until this started last week
    Owned 22 years.

Feedback Score

Next time it happens....grab your tire iron....lay down to the rear of the passenger front tire and give the starter a couple of wacks. Then try to start again. No start....give it couple more wacks and try again.

The starter motor is likely good but either the Bendix (am I still allowed to call it that?) Is bad or the drive gear and or shaft is gunked up. This is assuming it's the old style starter.

John

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
    Next time it happens....grab your tire iron....lay down to the rear of the passenger front tire and give the starter a couple of wacks. Then try to start again. No start....give it couple more wacks and try again.

The starter motor is likely good but either the Bendix (am I still allowed to call it that?) Is bad or the drive gear and or shaft is gunked up. This is assuming it's the old style starter.

John
    THANKS! It's an '86 XR-7 so I think you may have hit upon an idea!! We had a '59 Chevy when I was growing up and we used to keep a ballpeen hammer handy to whack the solenoid when it would stick so, at least, I have experience with this maneuver :O
    Owned 22 years.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Again, popping it with a screw driver would rule out both the ignition switch and the starter solenoid. You can just put the key in the run position (making sure its not in gear, or it will run you over or drive off without you) and stick a piece of metal acrossed the two big solenoid posts. If it starts, either the starter solenoid or ignition switch isnt working.

Btw, it will spark, so don't wanna stick your face right down in there when ya do it. Might save ya from another tow truck though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    Again, popping it with a screw driver would rule out both the ignition switch and the starter solenoid. You can just put the key in the run position (making sure its not in gear, or it will run you over or drive off without you) and stick a piece of metal acrossed the two big solenoid posts. If it starts, either the starter solenoid or ignition switch isnt working.

Btw, it will spark, so don't wanna stick your face right down in there when ya do it. Might save ya from another tow truck though.
    FINALLY figured it out. Something as simply as a loose wire going to the clutch switch which is explains why for several days the car would start if it could be moved a bit or towed somewhere All is now good! I HATE electrical problems so it AMAZING me that I love this car the way I do :O
    Owned 22 years.