Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turning reading lights into courtesy lights?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Turning reading lights into courtesy lights?

Let's say you want your rear reading lights (C-pillar) to come on when you open the door, since you keep stuff in the back you'd like to find at night. What would be the easiest way to trigger the rear lights with a door opening signal?

Tap the wire from the passenger side dash-to-floor light and run it to the switch in the console? That switch has me confused and the EVTM isn't helping.

And yes, I've converted them all to LEDs, so the electrical draw shouldn't be much more with the additional lights.
    pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more
    85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

do you want it so the switch in the back of the center console will still activate the lights also? Or just so they strictly turn on with the regular inside lights and the switch does nothing?
    2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
    1988 Thunderbird sport
    2004 Ford F150 Lariat
    2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
    1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
    1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I would like for the lights to do both: take input from the switch and the door. Can't be too hard, Lincolns do it all the time
    pro-five-oh

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Well it can be done but it's gonna require liberal amounts of pumpkin spice...is that something you're willing to abide?

Feedback Score

If you like redneck you could drop a wire down from the dome light to the switch.
    But any simple wiring of the courtesy lights to the reading lights will work both ways.
    Turning on the switch will light the courtesy lights along with the reading lights.
    You could replace the single throw switch with a double throw switch. That way the OFF side of the switch could tie courtesy and reading lights together.
    The ON side of the switch would power just the reading lights.
    Last edited by softtouch; 09-27-2017 at 04:48 PM.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ericcoolcats View Post
    well it can be done but it's gonna require liberal amounts of pumpkin spice...is that something you're willing to abide?
    nevar!!!!!
    pro-five-oh

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by softtouch View Post
    If you like redneck you could drop a wire down from the dome light to the switch.
    But any simple wiring of the courtesy lights to the reading lights will work both ways.
    Turning on the switch will light the courtesy lights along with the reading lights.
    Hmm...maybe I will dig into my Lincoln EVTM manuals to see how they make it work without activating every light when you hit the switch.
    pro-five-oh

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by pro-five-oh View Post
    Hmm...maybe I will dig into my Lincoln EVTM manuals to see how they make it work without activating every light when you hit the switch.
    I added a solution in my post.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I had thought about this very scenario years ago. What I wanted was an either/or situation: either the entry lamps OR the rear switch could operate those courtesy lights, but never both simultaneously. And also, I wanted to run everything through stock fuses.

Only thing I came up with was redoing the wires for the door post switch so that the rear switch could only get power when the door post switch was closed. Opening the door would override the rear lamp switch. But I never pursued the theory as I'd sold the car.

(Pumpkin spice is an inside thing...)
    Last edited by EricCoolCats; 09-27-2017 at 08:22 PM.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

"punkin' spice"?

Wasn't that one of those scantily clad bimbos in that ~band~ called spice girls? (i really hesitated calling them a band...more like a travelling bordello choir?) LOL
    '87 Mustang notch; 5 lug, PBR calipers, 3.55 gears, SFC's, mild 5.0 with '40P's, Cobra intake, E cam, BBK headers and X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust.
    "still slower than your grandma's scooter"..