Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brand new member - looking for advice on an upcoming purchase.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by fila571 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Check out Kansas City Craigslist 1985 Thunderbird , no rust.
    I saw your car, and looked VERY carefully at it. It's still on my list, however, to be honest, I'm really after a car that I can HO-convert and 5 speed swap. Not saying your car couldn't have that accomplished, however, the lack of the floor console makes that a bit trickier. This was the issue I ran into with the 30th Anniversary Thunderbirds. None had floor shift that I found, and I found a bunch of them. Same with the 20th Anniversary Cougars.

Don't think for a minute that I don't think you have a great car. Especially being in the book and all. Because you DO have a great car.

Tim
    2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - For now!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    I've been daily driving these cars for 14 years. My last one had 350k miles, original engine and tranny. Can't take credit for all of it though, i bought it at 290k miles or so. My current car is a 1986 tbird. I bought it at 131k miles in January and its sitting at 154k miles right now. Have a 200 mile drive planned in it tomorrow.

For the aod, make sure the tv cable bushing is good, sometimes the radiator trans copper fittings leak, but they are a $5-10 thing at any auto parts store.

You can daily these cars, i do pizza delivery in mine right now. You will have issues though. It's a 30 year old car and the parts are now starting to get scarce. Most common wear items are still available and there is a ton of parts compatibility between a bunch of other newer cars. You'll want a back up car incase issues come up, but they can be daily driven.

My car has needed tires, and ignition switch and recently my seat back broke on the drivers chair. But I am really, really hard on my cars. I might do 20 or more deliveries a day, constantly getting in and out of the car, sometimes driving on dirt roads and randomly i drive up to 1000k miles a week freeway in addition to that
    Wow! That's an awesome testimonial there. I do have other cars, so I am not terribly worried about the occasional "it needs parts" thing happening. I'm usually pretty proactive, and downright meticulous about maintenance......my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee has 354,000 miles on it, and still runs perfect.

Sounds like I shouldn't have a lot of trouble with a 70 mile highway commute.

Tim

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zorin View Post
    I saw your car, and looked VERY carefully at it. It's still on my list, however, to be honest, I'm really after a car that I can HO-convert and 5 speed swap. Not saying your car couldn't have that accomplished, however, the lack of the floor console makes that a bit trickier. This was the issue I ran into with the 30th Anniversary Thunderbirds. None had floor shift that I found, and I found a bunch of them. Same with the 20th Anniversary Cougars.

Don't think for a minute that I don't think you have a great car. Especially being in the book and all. Because you DO have a great car.

Tim
    No floor shift, no biggie

DSCF1846 (800x600).jpg
    11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar5.0 View Post
    No floor shift, no biggie

DSCF1846 (800x600).jpg
    I said "a bit trickier" not impossible! HAHAHAHAH!

Nice ride, by the way!

Tim

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zorin View Post
    I said "a bit trickier" not impossible! HAHAHAHAH!

Nice ride, by the way!

Tim
    Yeah, it took some planning and I still have to be careful not to crash the console on the seat into the shifter "console" (I cut down a larger one.)
    11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

You can just replace the consolette with a full console. I did it on my Thunderbird (but kept the column shifter). It's really easy. The hard part is finding a full length console.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score

Good luck with search. Worst that happens , I keep another fifteen years and leave it to my daughter. She loves it already. I will watch for a console car.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I could DD mine no problem. I Just drive in good weather though.
    Mike

Feedback Score

I might have a spare console or two stashed away, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Feedback Score

Well, it's set up.

Sunday is the day. We shall figure out then if I will become a full fledged member of this group.

It's a 3.5 hour drive, hopefully, it's not just for Kansas City BBQ.

Tim