Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 88 TC aka Bad Decisions

Feedback Score

Made some decent progress today, all the brake/fuel line clips came loose.

-Pulled wheel well liners
    -Got the calipers pulled and hung
    -Dropped swaybar off the frame hangers
    -Broke the rear K member bolts loose
    -Broke the strut bolts loose

Tried to drop the driver side front Kmember bolts, promptly broke the tabs off the nut plates. Got them turning with a breaker bar, but decided to let them soak in oil for a while and try it later. Or borrow a nut splitter.

Passenger side I'm just going to cut through them via my engine bay access hole.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

The work isn't particularly difficult, once the engine is out. If you have a welder and the skills it's something that can be tackled at home. Now paying someone to do it is where it gets $$$, due to the labor costs.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score

Do the mustang floor pans fit these or do I need to just get metal and patch them in?

Feedback Score

Zach you will need to patch them, the mustang floors are different. With that said, it's not a particularly difficult pan to create from sheetmetal if your existing floor is there to take good measurements from.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thunderjet302 View Post
    The work isn't particularly difficult, once the engine is out. If you have a welder and the skills it's something that can be tackled at home. Now paying someone to do it is where it gets $$$, due to the labor costs.
    Isn't that always the case
    It's Gumby's fault.

Feedback Score

Managed to get the driver side Kmember bolts out, it was a battle. Pretty happy i can just cut the passenger side, cause that was zero fun.

IMG_0465.jpg

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

On the bright side the bolts are still pretty much the same diameter as when new. I've seen some very rusty K-member bolts that were only half or less of their original thickness.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.

Feedback Score

I'm blown away by what LMR and 50resto charge for these crossmember bolts and j nuts, I understand they're special, but 200$ for four bolts and nuts?

Looks like I'm getting some used ones haha.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    I'm blown away by what LMR and 50resto charge for these crossmember bolts and j nuts, I understand they're special, but 200$ for four bolts and nuts?

Looks like I'm getting some used ones haha.
    Jebus. Yeah just eBay it. I've seen all 6 K-member bolts from a Fox Mustang listed for $50-100.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

A grade 8 or better hardware store bolt wouldn't cost more then $15... you car cutting and replacing the entire area. I wouldn't be worried with originality...
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com