Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 88 TC aka Bad Decisions

Feedback Score

Default 88 TC aka Bad Decisions

Some background, bought car in 2004ish, it's been a Michigan car it's entire life and as such is rusty as heck.

What's been done:
    -Driver floor pan replaced from kick panel to rear well
    -Gas tank mounts rebuilt
    -Front window frame rebuilt and windshield actually attached to body
    -Rebuilt motor and transmission

Went to pull the motor the other night and found the passenger shock tower attached via hopes and dreams. Spoke with scottrodfab and ended up ordering a repair section, mostly because I'm too stupid to declare defeat after dragging this thing around for a bit over a decade. Tomorrow I'm pulling the motor to see what I'm up against.

IMG_0398.jpgIMG_0397.jpg

Feedback Score

Wow you got some work to do there! Where in Mi are you?
    Brian R.
    88 2.3t Ranger
    83 TC gt40p motor,Vortech,TFS1 cam,long tubes,MS PnP,T5,8.8,17x9 Cobra 17s

Feedback Score

I'm north of Detroit, Great Lakes crossing area.

Got the motor pulled tonight with my 6 year olds help, had the fuel feed line hang up but it came loose with some persuasion. Separated the trains/bell and got the old motor supported off to the side.

Got a better gander at the frame rust, and it's a bit bigger than my patch piece from scottrod. The inner tower pieces will be an invaluable time saver though on the fabrication side. Current plan is to cut somewhere halfway up the kickup and rebuild the rail until the rear stabilizer bar bracket
    IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

How in the hell did the car not fall apart?
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Like he said.......hopes and dreams. Hey, if Jerry can do it, you can too.
    '87 Mustang notch; 5 lug, PBR calipers, 3.55 gears, SFC's, mild 5.0 with '40P's, Cobra intake, E cam, BBK headers and X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust.
    "still slower than your grandma's scooter"..

Feedback Score

It's really a feature, think about how much work it is to drop the cradle. This body has optimized its geometry to the point where the cradle can be removed from either side of the frame rail.

Feedback Score

I bought a TC parts car years ago that was rusted so bad in that spot the hood was only thing holding the car up! I popped the hood and the strut pushed the hood up and broke the safety catch on the hood and the whole car dropped 4"! And I drove it 5miles to my house. lol
    Brian R.
    88 2.3t Ranger
    83 TC gt40p motor,Vortech,TFS1 cam,long tubes,MS PnP,T5,8.8,17x9 Cobra 17s

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

That whole area is kind of a piss poor design. All the gaps let water in and it just sits there. When the area is repaired it makes sense to just weld all the seams solid, so it's harder for water to intrude.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score

Found a bit of rust on the driver side rail as well, but it's small time compared to the passenger side. I do think I'm going to just seam weld it all together.

Went through the scrap bin at work and pulled a workable pile of 12/16ga sheet steel, should be enough to make a solid first pass. Little bummed I moved the car into the middle bay in my garage, I can't reach the car with my tig welding leads so may need to borrow a small mig for the bulk of this.

Dug this out of my pile of books, too bad PB sucks. Would love to share this in full resolution.

IMG_0423.jpg
    Last edited by Sancho; 09-13-2017 at 10:22 AM.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I've been using Flikr with good results so far. If you have and old Yahoo account, just use that to sign in. Just have to be slightly crafty with the codes.

I actually scrapped a TC with rust half as bad as yours in the same area. You're a bad bitch to even attempt trying to get that back together.
    It's Gumby's fault.