Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Back in a fox. 1988 Turbo Coupe. The life journal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ya I've been updated lol. Congrats on the marriage Carmen. 17 years? What took you so long? Lol.

Shawn. Nice garage man. And house lol

Feedback Score

It's like all the crazy uncles came to the same family reunion. You inspire me Shawn, I have followed a similar path except I kept my rusty and blowed up TC and dragged that boat anchor house to house a few times now

Some day soon it will move under its own power again.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

If you didn't have so much money into rc cars, there would be a ton left over for the turbo coupe.

I fly model airplanes, everytime i go to a hobby shop my jaw drops at how expensive much inferior parts for a rc car go for.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    If you didn't have so much money into rc cars, there would be a ton left over for the turbo coupe.

I fly model airplanes, everytime i go to a hobby shop my jaw drops at how expensive much inferior parts for a rc car go for.
    You sir, are not wrong. If you look closely, at the very left of the picture, you can see 5 cars on the wall, just out of the shot is another 5 more. I also have more in the house. Most of the stuff I have is old from when I raced in the early 2000's and a few "newer" ones from probably 2010ish or so. I fade in and out of the hobby.
    It's Gumby's fault.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I've probably spent $2k on airplanes in the last 7 years or so. I'm not really an airplane guy, but i am the 3rd generation. When I first seperate from my ex, i found it to be a fun and calming way to be by myself and distract from all I had going on. Overspent on a few planes i only flew once or twice, and way too much on spectrum radio junk.

The mechanics at my old work spent $800 on a 3 channel spectrum setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Let's see picks of the whole fleet.

Raced RC cars back in the late 80's-early 90's. Besides my local track, I regular drove 3+ hours every week race with my brother-in-law at his local track too. Ended up winning that track championship the last year I competed there. The locals weren't happy that I wasn't a "native".
    When I started, it was fun, but I got out of it because it seemed that your week old parts were outdated. It just got too expensive to stay competitive and that just sucked the fun factor out of it. I still have my original Tamiya Frog and Associated RC-10 (gold pan) though.

My license plate circa 1990 (trunk lid needs some adjustment).

scan0006.1.jpg
    1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed
    One of 1,246 built

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Hey! This is awesome to hear, great news with the car, the house and everything. Us Maryland guys should get together again sometime, it's been way too long.
    1988 Cougar XR7
    2007 Expedition EL
    2016 WRX
    2016 SS 6-spd

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Katy is not amused by Shawn's new purchase. She looks like she's gonna make you sleep on the couch.
    -- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !! -- 87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's! http://www.fquick.com/V8Demon

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Welcome back

Great news on the car, house, etc.

I hear you on having garage space, but not really having garage space. The place we bought back in Dec has a 2-car garage (vs the 1-car at the old house), and much more room to park cars, without having to move one or two to get anything else out of the drive. However, with the TBird and the 240 in the garage, there is little room to REALLY get much work done. Gotta do more shuffling to get a secondary storage spot so I have a usable workshop.
    Long live the 4-eyes! - '83 Tbird Turbo

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BCA View Post
    Let's see picks of the whole fleet.

Raced RC cars back in the late 80's-early 90's. Besides my local track, I regular drove 3+ hours every week race with my brother-in-law at his local track too. Ended up winning that track championship the last year I competed there. The locals weren't happy that I wasn't a "native".
    When I started, it was fun, but I got out of it because it seemed that your week old parts were outdated. It just got too expensive to stay competitive and that just sucked the fun factor out of it. I still have my original Tamiya Frog and Associated RC-10 (gold pan) though.

My license plate circa 1990 (trunk lid needs some adjustment).

scan0006.1.jpg
    I have to gather the fleet up into one spot. I have stuff everywhere. I have a few 1/27 scale cars sitting on the window sill, and then cars all over the garage. I counted all of my cars, and it was way too many...

I would LOVE a gold pan though. I don't want one bad enough to buy one though.

Quote Originally Posted by 4thqtr View Post
    Hey! This is awesome to hear, great news with the car, the house and everything. Us Maryland guys should get together again sometime, it's been way too long.
    Good God dude. Why the hell did you move to the other side of the bay?

You are right, it's been way too long.

Quote Originally Posted by V8Demon View Post
    Katy is not amused by Shawn's new purchase. She looks like she's gonna make you sleep on the couch.
    Ironically enough, she wasn't displeased with it. Believe it or not, she doesn't really care what I do as long as our bills are paid and we aren't falling behind. Well, that is, until I want to do something insanely irresponsible. Usually at that point, I can't be mad if she puts her foot down and that's seldom.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    Welcome back

Great news on the car, house, etc.

I hear you on having garage space, but not really having garage space. The place we bought back in Dec has a 2-car garage (vs the 1-car at the old house), and much more room to park cars, without having to move one or two to get anything else out of the drive. However, with the TBird and the 240 in the garage, there is little room to REALLY get much work done. Gotta do more shuffling to get a secondary storage spot so I have a usable workshop.
    So when are you going to post about your great news?

My garage is really meant for car and home storage. I can fit the T/A or TC into the one side. I have enough room to have the doors open on the T/A while it's in the garage, which is a big deal, but the nose to tail space sucks. The TC will probably barely fit. On the left side, I can fit either the FRS or ST with room to spare.

I apologize for my lack of updates. While I'm not broke, my finances aren't where I want them to be so I'm being very selective on my purchases at the moment. I absolutely love the TC, but I need to make sure this doesn't spiral out of control. I know it will be a money pit, but I'm not ready for that yet.

Also, these next few months at work are going to kill my free time. I work for UPS. We call the Christmas seasons "Peak Season". While Peak officially starts Black Friday, and ends Christmas day, we have to have all of the trucks up and running at the beginning of November, and keep them up and running until the end of January. The volume ramps up in November, and doesn't slow down back to normal until February most times.

With that said, I am going to put some time into the car Saturday, and then Sunday I'm going to take it out to the MA86 Club (local FRS/BRZ club) meet. A few people know I bought it, but maybe 4 people will know what it is.
    It's Gumby's fault.