Thread: Well someone ordered a different combination of options

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Well someone ordered a different combination of options

According to the Standard Catalog of Thunderbirds I have it was possible, in 1987, to order a Thunderbird LX with articulated sport seats (Turbo Coupe seats) but not a Sport. I have seen, at a local car show, an 87 Thunderbird LX 5.0 with red leather sport seats and a floor shifter. The options were on the car's window sticker. Now get a load of this car: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...delCode1=TBIRD

87 Thunderbird LX 3.8 with a TC style raven interior, minus floor shift. I can't imagine there were very many of these made. Either it was custom ordered (to get a black/black car) or some dealer just had a weird guy filling out the lot order sheets. The car is localish to me as well.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Friend's sister just demo derbied a pretty damn nice '86 MGM...power seats windows....basic AM/FM radio analog clock. I yelled at her "this car is rare!!"

Oh and *gaaaasp* buyyyy ittttt

1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
    2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
    Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Years ago, I came across an 88 LX with a 3.8L. It had a full digital dash, cloth raven interior, full length console and column shift.

At the same junkyard, I came across an 88 base model with a 3.8L and not a single option. It had no passenger mirror, no rear window defrost, crank windows, manual seats, AM/FM radio...it was base as base could be.
    It's Gumby's fault.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by thunderjet302 View Post
    Now get a load of this car: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...delCode1=TBIRD

87 Thunderbird LX 3.8 with a TC style raven interior, minus floor shift. I can't imagine there were very many of these made. Either it was custom ordered (to get a black/black car) or some dealer just had a weird guy filling out the lot order sheets. The car is localish to me as well.
    I'm kinda colorblind, but is that console a different color then the rest of the interior panels? Also the console lid is 83-84 style. I just wonder if it was a junk-yard upgrade. I do find the full-digital cluster on a v6 to be a real oddity though.
    CoogarXR

1986 LTD Wagon
    1985 Cougar XR-7

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Years ago I found an '87 V6 T-Bird at a junkyard that was optioned up pretty much just like that Auto Trader one. I ended up buying some parts from it for my '88, including the radio bezel and tray where the floor shifter would have been. I swapped an '83 full length console into that 88 though, and the ones I had gotten with my 83 console had a different, shinier and rougher texture to them so I bought those very hard to find 85-88 bits. It also had the TC seats but they were trashed. In the same junkyard, at the same time, was a four-eye Bird with the Motorsports grille, ground effects, and spoiler. I am pretty sure I posted about those two cars at the time, and even offered to snag the FMS parts for somebody with a 4-eye.

The ability to individalize cars back then is what made them cool. My 88 Cougar LS had power windows but no power locks. Nowadays you have to buy everything in packages - on my 2015 Mustang I had to buy equipment package 401A in order to get the good stereo.
    2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Those seats, EATC and full digital cluster in a car that looks base AF from the outside. (And is a V6)