Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Seat upgrade ... attempt #2 ...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    So looking forward to this thread. I need new seats, mine are the stock LS seats and I would love to get some bird articulated seats. I can never find any around here.
    Thanks, hope it helps. I think the end result is a nice mix of retaining a lot of the factory parts with their form, fit, and function. I would have loved for the Corbeaus to work out ... and they did to a degree, but I just knew I wasn't going to happy with the position.

Finding good seats in the salvage yard can pretty tough, but with this project, I'm only really reusing the internals of the seats themselves. I'm not sure if the base and LS seats use a different seat back frame from the sport seats or not. All of the bolstering could just be in the actual foam ... dunno. I would guess that the bottom frame is different though. The bases might be the same dimensions, but the frame is tapped in certain areas for extra hardware and brackets, etc.
    Last edited by 85CougarCobra; 08-30-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Next step is a pretty easy one - removal of the knee bolster. Just tap out the roll pins on either side and the bolster pulls right out.

Should have thought of this in my earlier post too, but my pictures made me think of it ... part numbers for the seat bottom foam:
    87 Mustang GT - E7ZB-61632A22-BA
    88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe - E3SB-63632A22-BB

Hard to tell if these are 100% accurate trying to read them in the foam ... 3,6, and 8 all start to look alike if you stare at them long enough ... lol ..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (135.5 KB, 30 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (52.3 KB, 28 views)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Next up is the removal of the lumbar switch and associated wiring/tubing.

The LUMBAR -/+ face plate just lifts off by prying in the bottom slots with a small flat head screw driver. That will then reveal two screws that need to be removed. Disconnect the switch from the harness in the seat base, and the switch assembly with its associated tubing will just pull right out.
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (125.0 KB, 28 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (143.4 KB, 28 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (111.3 KB, 28 views)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 85CougarCobra View Post
    Categorizing the Mustang seats is a bit of a strange beast in and of itself. When talking about the GT sport seats, from my research (and I could be wrong as I'm sure there are differences between GT's, LX's and even convertibles) ... but basically:

-87-89 used the 26" "high" seat back fully articulated seat with adjustable knee bolster and the large headrest
    -90-91 used the same seat, except with a 24" "low" seat back and small headrests
    -92-93 went back to the 26" "high" seat back, but kept the smaller headrest, and the adjustable knee bolster went away and was just integrated into the lower part of the seat foam as a single piece.

As far as I can tell, the XR-7 and Turbo Coupe seats have the 24" "low" seat back with the large headrest and the adjustable knee bolster.

Now, as far as the foam itself is concerned, I would say the foam between the Mustang and the Cougar/Tbird is the same overall size/dimension, but I would also venture to say that you are correct in that they do not have the same density or cushy-ness. Below are shots of the actual seat bottom foam. The Mustang GT one is marked with an "M" from the factory and the Thunderbird Turbo Coupe with a "T". If they were truly the same, I doubt they would be marked in such a way.
    It's interesting that the Mustang (most years anyway) used a taller seat back when they probably could have simplified production and put the 24" on both production lines.

Density of the foam would be a good description of what I experienced between the two. I never found the Mustang seats very comfortable. I felt like I sat on top of the Mustang seat and sat in the XR-7 seat. At the time I probably weighed 150lbs. dripping wet though.

Thanks for the thread. It's going to be (already is) very informative.
    1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed
    One of 1,246 built

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I have experienced the same damn dilemma with the Corbeau's in my Bird. They just sit too high for me but other than that they are awesome. I have the same exact seats in my Coupe and they don't sit as high so that is kind of a mystery to me and is why I bought them in the first place. I used to have the 86 GT seats in my Bird using the Bird tracks so I just assumed the Corbeau's would work. Should have yanked the seats out of the Coupe and tried them in the Bird...damnit. So long story short I may be headed down this road as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Aerocoupe View Post
    I have experienced the same damn dilemma with the Corbeau's in my Bird. They just sit too high for me but other than that they are awesome. I have the same exact seats in my Coupe and they don't sit as high so that is kind of a mystery to me and is why I bought them in the first place. I used to have the 86 GT seats in my Bird using the Bird tracks so I just assumed the Corbeau's would work. Should have yanked the seats out of the Coupe and tried them in the Bird...damnit. So long story short I may be headed down this road as well.
    Yeah, I don't get it with the Corbeaus I had ... they just aren't "right" and rather than let it eat at me, I just decided to move in another direction.

Here's a shot of the fully removed lumber switch and associated tubing. After that was out, it was time to move on to the side bolster adjustment knob. Pretty easy ... one small allen head to loosen up and then the knob pulls right off.
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (127.4 KB, 22 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (127.3 KB, 22 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (132.5 KB, 22 views)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

At this point is where the real fun begins.

From the bottom of the seat base, you will first have to deal with three hog rings. One holds the center of the front plastic clip and the two on either side just hold the fabric welt to keep the upholstery tight. All you need to do is take a pair of dikes and cut the hog rings. After that, you can loosen up and undo all of the plastic retaining clips for the upholstery.
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (134.6 KB, 23 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (69.0 KB, 22 views)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Once the upholstery is loose all the way around, starting at the front of the seat base, you just begin to roll the upholstery off. You can compress the foam in the bolsters a little and it will come right off. With the upholstery off of the fronts of the side bolsters, you will then reveal the main attachment point of the fabric to the metal of the seat base. There are two main metal clips on either side and three more hog rings. You will have to loosen the metal clips as they hold a left and right metal rod that each extend front to back through the seat base. These clips will need to be reused later, so don't go to crazy and destroy them ... although I'm sure something else could be used in their place if necessary. The three hog rings will all need to be cut as well. One picture shows all five attachments, the other is just a closer view of the front left hand side.
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (86.2 KB, 22 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (107.8 KB, 22 views)
    Last edited by 85CougarCobra; 09-03-2017 at 11:22 AM.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Sorry for the first picture, realized I forgot to take one of this step so had to try to recreate it a little.

Once the main metal clips are removed from either side, you can simply pull out the metal rods. They are "L" shaped and run from the front of the seat to the back. They pass through a fabric seam on the underside of the upholstery. They may stick a little due to some surface rust, put should come out pretty easily.
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (56.2 KB, 22 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (120.4 KB, 22 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (128.4 KB, 22 views)
    Last edited by 85CougarCobra; 09-01-2017 at 07:07 AM.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Great write up on this. Following along as I have these in my bird also.
    87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter 3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates, Work In Progress....... ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )