Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Seat upgrade ... attempt #2 ...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Aerocoupe View Post
    When you get your seats together can you set it on the floor and take a couple measurements?

1) from the top of the front part of the bottom cushion to the floor
    2) from the top of the back part of the bottom cushion (where it meets the seat back) to the floor

If you need me to I will get a picture and put some arrows on it to illustrate. Next time I can pull one of the Corbeaus out of my Bird I'll do the same to see what the difference is. I'm betting its at least 2"-4".
    I almost have one of the bottom assemblies done. I take it you just want me to set it on the floor (with no seat tracks installed) and take those measurements? Let me know and I can probably have those sometime next week.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

With seat tracks if possible and thanks!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 85CougarCobra View Post
    Yes ... I have ... but it might depend on your particular set up. The old XR-7 sport seats that I had were a plain charcoal cloth and then the inserts on them were a lighter gray cloth (not charcoal) with the waffle pattern.

I reached out to SMS Auto Fabrics: https://www.smsautofabrics.com/

I asked them to provide me samples of all of the OE charcoal material that they had for an '85 Cougar and this is what they sent me. I ended up purchasing some of the charcoal waffle pattern material to recover the side fabric inserts in the back seat.
    Yes, that is what I was looking for. I have the lighter Oxford Grey. I'll contact them.
    Thanks!
    1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed
    One of 1,246 built

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Can't wait to see the finished product. It's coming along nicely.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Very impressive, the work you guys have done and the info provided. I have some 84 Mustang sport seats..... Interesting, if I could make them into nice sport seats and match my stock 88 grey rear seat fabric......
    Mike

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Well ... after a little hiatus, back at it. Had some travels and other things tying me up the past few weeks. Time to build the seat bottoms. I did a pre-build of sorts and wasn't happy with how tight the upholstery seemed to being pulled in the front of the base part of the seat ... so I took the bases to a local machine shop and had attachment rods added on the underside. Unfortunately, I didn't have the Mustang seats to compare to, but I believe their attachment rods sit a little more forward of where ours do. Not a huge deal, just welded a second one in as seen towards the top of the pic.

After that was done, it was time to install the foam. Pretty simple, it just basically sits on top of the base assembly. The foam is universal and is marked on both sides where a piece needs to be cut out to clear the lumbar control area on one side or the other. Cut that out on the appropriate side and drop it in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (70.3 KB, 17 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (136.5 KB, 17 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (41.9 KB, 17 views)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

More shots of the lumbar area foam cut out. Once you get the foam in place, you also need to add a hole for the side bolster in/out adjustment shaft. Once that is complete, your basically done as far as the foam is concerned.
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (108.0 KB, 17 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (43.1 KB, 17 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (64.6 KB, 17 views)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

More!
    It's Gumby's fault.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

With the foam in place, it's on to the upholstery install. You start out by turning the seat base upholstery inside out. There is a fabric loop running through the middle section that will need cut on the left and right side so that you can slide the upholstery pull rod through it. Because of the way this is stitched in from the factory, you basically have to create you own openings to slide the rod through.
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (71.7 KB, 11 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (56.0 KB, 11 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (63.9 KB, 11 views)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Once the center rod is in place, it's time to hog ring (x3) this area to the center channel running through the foam. One hog ring goes in the center and then one more on each side. The foam has metal rods built into and it is pretty easy to locate where they want you to go with the hog ring connections.
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (50.5 KB, 10 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (63.4 KB, 10 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (44.7 KB, 10 views)