Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Seat upgrade ... attempt #2 ...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

While sliding the "L" rod up through each fabric loop, you'll need to guide it a little from the outside. You'll be able to feel it passing through the inside fabric loop, but you need to make sure that you also keep it located in the channel that is cut into the foam. When you get to the center rod, you'll want the "L" rod to pass over the top of this. The pressure applied by the "L" rod once it is fully installed is basically what holds the center rod in place (thus why you do not have to hog ring it anywhere). Once you pass over the center rod, you'll want to make sure you are gently pushing the "L" rod along and will want to angle it down so that the end rests inside of the metal loop at the top of the channel. I wish I had some better pictures of this step, but everything happens inside/under the upholstery and it's really by feel. You'll know that you have the top of the "L" rod under the loop because you will have to apply some pressure to it in order to draw it against the foam at the bottom part of the seat foam where you will reattach it using hog rings. I put four on each side, two on each section of the "L".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (95.2 KB, 11 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (123.4 KB, 11 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (146.2 KB, 11 views)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Having reached this point, the upholstery is basically reinstalled in terms of all of the attaching rods and hog rings. From here, you'll just want to work the fabric around a little, pull it down nice and snug, and then close up the bottom. This upholstery kit has plastic clips at the bottom whereas the factory upholstery was zippered. Once you have this clip closed up, the upholstery piece is done. All that is left is to reinstall the headrest, seat back latch and surround, and then attach the seat back to the seat base.
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (142.3 KB, 11 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (134.5 KB, 11 views)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Installing the headrest caused a bit of a pause ... it's not a particularly "good" feeling slicing into your nice new upholstery ... ha! I wish these came precut, but they do not. You'll be able to feel around and get a sense for where the opening in the foam is located . It's a little further towards the back of the seat versus being centered front to back. Make a small cut with a razor blade, make sure you're properly located, and then continue to remove material until you have the hole opened up enough to accept the black plastic guide. I did a few test fits and trims and then slid the guide all the way in. It will just pop back into its seated place.
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (144.7 KB, 11 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (43.0 KB, 11 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (44.3 KB, 11 views)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

With the black plastic guide back in place, simply slide the headrest back in. It will go in so far and then lock into place so that you can't pull it back out without releasing the catch latch on the seat back frame.
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (140.7 KB, 5 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (107.9 KB, 5 views)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Next up is the seat back latch and plastic surround on the back of the seat. You'll be able to see and feel where the metal is under the upholstery. Take a razor blade and cut a small opening allowing the metal to poke through the upholstery. From there, trim away some additional material in alignment with the opening in the seat back that allows for the up/down motion of the lever. Make sure you don't remove too much material. The plastic surround will tidy everything up once it's installed.
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (51.7 KB, 5 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (47.3 KB, 5 views)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I picked up new plastic knobs and surrounds from one of the Mustang parts warehouses. You can get new reproduction pieces in black and I didn't want to or plan on reusing the stock dark blue pieces. The surround just slides in from the top and then is held in place with a single screw in the bottom. The plastic knob just pushes onto the metal.
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (61.7 KB, 5 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (54.2 KB, 5 views)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

We're entering the home stretch with the seat base and seat backs now fully assembled as individual units ... time to put 'em together.

On the seat base, you'll need to find the three mounting screw holes ... there will be two on the outboard hinge side and one on the inboard side. Again, you'll be able to feel around and locate these spots under the upholstery. I took a fine phillips head screw driver and ran it through the upholstery to mark the hole locations. Once these spots were basically marked, I then took a razor blade and cut the openings into an "X" shape.
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (138.0 KB, 5 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (140.1 KB, 5 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (72.0 KB, 5 views)