Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wood burner stove help SOLVED

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

and of course the "new thing" or new hap's need investigated by the cats

There's always been little harmless ring neck snakes that turn up around the fire place.. im about to find out more about this and make it stop.
    the wife tells me often how lucky i am to have found her, no other wife would put up with snakes in her house.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jcassity; 11-30-2017 at 07:10 AM.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

more demo and discouraging discovery... so worried about the structure of the chimney now.
    gotta be careful... think it though,, have a method of procedure.

seems like this metal box goes wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy up high.

it took sooooooo much work to get to this point,, but the work has just begun.

I have me a rigged up exhaust fan blowing up the chimney to move dust out.. didnt take me long to figure out that was a good idea.

the 45deg overhead is really flakey, they used scrap block as fill to transition the chimney tapper ,, seems dangerous now, i gotta solve that with a safe permanant solution later.
    I install my lental to hold up the block along the front edge i want to stay in place.

next to demo the heatalator box.
    Last edited by jcassity; 11-29-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

time to phone a friend with a plasma cutter.

at this point i am really starting to question what i got myself into,, but i got my desert storm face on and kept on getting it.

i had to pull in a temp 60amp 240v ac circuit and have an air supply hose from the garage ready for my pal.

in trade for his time and work, i gave him some really expensive air hose for his plasma cutter and bought his metal roofing material for his parking garage he is building.

he asked me how long i thougth it would take to wreck out the metal box, i told him 3hours. he pulled up at 10am, he pulled out the driveway at just a tad before 1pm.
    Last edited by jcassity; 12-04-2017 at 08:30 AM.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I begin serious deep thougth of how to engineer a plan to deal with the fragile overhead where the original block layer tossted in job site scrap to shape the 45deg angle of my chimney.

plan drawn up in my head so i begin with this.

I sought masons in my area and none would touch this part of the project, they said its impossible to remediate and you gotta start with a new chimney.

Well, ive solved more complicated chanllenges than this...

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

the next challenge was to figure out how to inject concrete into a shape that would ultimately end up being shaped like a wedge with no overhead access.

solution.....
    calibrated cut plywood to perfectly fit and on door hinges,,,,,,,,, jack it up level, start tossing in cups of concrete till you hope the void is full enough, then jack up the plywood until it bottoms out. with the plywood all the way up, the rebar is still suspended and surrounded by concrete. the excess would ooze out which is cleaned up.
    lets see how this plays out......
    Last edited by jcassity; 12-04-2017 at 08:32 AM.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

i guess this will have to be good nuff... for dress up the overhead of the new fire place opening.

A little bit of surface scratching and chip work and it will serve to be a decent retrofit support i think.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Its time to insulate... pick a material made for such an application.
    found 3/4'' metal backed sheets of foam. I forgot to put vapor barrier down first,, maybe it will be ok... for mold reasons i guess is what i am tring to say.

i can just cut this out and stick it up with liqud nails.. for now..........

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

now to pick a material that is as closeto flame proof as possible that i can buy in sheets.
    Hardy Plank makes cement board so i purchase 5/8'' white washed on one side and bolt it in on top of the insulation material.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Oh,,
    i found this in the floor of the concrete perimeter of the foundation of the chimney.. a time capsule.. there was **NOTHING** in the bottle,, whats the point?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

now to dress the opening up where my stainless 10'' flex penetrates the overhead.
    its just a piece of stove pipe i flattened out to look ok.