Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got me an 83

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

A 225/60r16 is only 26.5" tall vs a stock sized tire right around 26". My guess is a really high spring rate front spring, maybe even a lowering spring for a fox stang. Fox springs drop the car about an inch, then if it was a 1-2" drop spring for a mustang, you might be sitting on the bump stops.

Id try sn-95 springs all around and see where it sits. A few people here run them and really like the slight drop compared to our stock springs.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Feedback Score

Thanks Haystack! I think that might be the route I go. Also anyone have experience with KYB AGX struts?

The KYB 734014 (for sn95 mustang) is 20.83 and compressed is 14.57 compressed.
    The KYB 235002 (83 Tbird Excel-G) is 19.45 extended and 14.17 compressed. (for comparison sake)
    The KYB 734013 (for Fox mustang) is 19.25 extended and 13.15 compressed.

I'm not sure which one to go with out of the AGX series, it seems the extended length is closer with the Fox but I would have slightly extra travel for the compressed so this should work better if I lower the car slightly with the SN95 springs? The more I read about it the more conflicting views I see. Aerocoupe posted to run Fox struts and Coolcats says DO NOT use fox struts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ZachReynolds View Post
    Thanks Haystack! I think that might be the route I go. Also anyone have experience with KYB AGX struts?

The KYB 734014 (for sn95 mustang) is 20.83 and compressed is 14.57 compressed.
    The KYB 235002 (83 Tbird Excel-G) is 19.45 extended and 14.17 compressed. (for comparison sake)
    The KYB 734013 (for Fox mustang) is 19.25 extended and 13.15 compressed.

I'm not sure which one to go with out of the AGX series, it seems the extended length is closer with the Fox but I would have slightly extra travel for the compressed so this should work better if I lower the car slightly with the SN95 springs? The more I read about it the more conflicting views I see. Aerocoupe posted to run Fox struts and Coolcats says DO NOT use fox struts.
    I would just run tbird/cougar struts and shocks if your keeping stock brakes. If you do end up lowering it some sn95 shocks would be nice.
    Last edited by Moonmount; 08-05-2017 at 07:26 AM.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Moonmount View Post
    I would just run tbird/cougar struts and shocks if your keeping stock brakes. If you do end up lowering it some sn95 shocks would be nice.
    I have 88 Mustang GT brakes and spindles up front. I just put Tbird shocks on the rear.

Feedback Score

[QUOTE=ZachReynolds;462056]What style wheels do you have? I am interested in something different than whats on the car. QUOTE]

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/...185791628.html
    ^^^ link to the set of wheels and tires im selling.
    -Kyle
    1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit, 350,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine/trans/axle. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake. chrome wheels/tires. EGR delete. AC delete. Smog Pump Delete.

Feedback Score

I like those wheels do you know the offset?

Feedback Score

Well it's a 15x7 wheel with about 4.5in backspace. So offset would be +1in, I think I math-ed that right. I had them mounted on my 86tbird. No issues with rubbing. And my car is lowered too. The tires are 4 yrs old
    1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit, 350,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine/trans/axle. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake. chrome wheels/tires. EGR delete. AC delete. Smog Pump Delete.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I had wheels just like that in a 14" rim on my first cougar.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Just a quick note, the SN95 front struts should not be used on a lowered Fox car. They have internal bump stops and will not compress as far as a Fox strut hence why the SN95 guys use the Fox struts when they lower their cars.