Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye rear drums and tiny front brakes.....

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

Default Goodbye rear drums and tiny front brakes.....

I finally got the brakes on and the rear in. 3.73 rear, drums to discs, TC front brakes, Fox Stang booster, SN-95 master cylinder, and TC proportioning valve.

New tires next. I have had mine for three years, and they are about done. The fronts were getting rounded on the outer edges due to bad ball joints and bad struts. I installed new struts and ball joints, new tie rod ends as well. The rack is still fine, and not very old.

Now, I want a new set of Thunderbird air shocks, then I'm pulling the Chuck W shock mounts and going back to stock. I want the longer shocks.
    Last edited by vinnietbird; 07-16-2017 at 07:40 AM.
    '88 Sport--T-5,HURST shifter,TMoss GT-40 intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,70mm t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster 40's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels,Mass Air, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Looks great. Did you use a disc brake rear or convert yours?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Nice work, have you driven it yet? Wondering how it feels.

I have the same setup but still using the stock booster and MC, I may need to change,..... based on your feedback.
    Mike

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

I am driving it every day. It's my daily. The brakes feel great, more responsive, and not as dinky as the stock brakes. I was also using the 30 year old booster, so, .......

As far as the rear, I started with a disc rear, replaced pretty much everything.....bearings, seals, rotors, calipers, caliper brackets, backing plates, all fasteners, brake lines and so on. Brackets with slider pins are cheap brand new, I recommend buying them as over the years, those sliders just don't slide like they should. I shopped around a LOT for cheap deals, I got both rear calipers as reman units, one was $14, and the other was $17.

The car brakes better, and looks better, looks aren't everything, function first, but if you can get both, even better.

I painted the calipers red. I was going to go with gray, but with the green car, I thought red was the better choice. New tires next week. I also have to install the speedo gear in the T-5 tomorrow. It'll take longer to raise the car than to actually swap the gear. LOL.

I really like the SN-95 master cylinder along with the smaller Fox Stang booster. I went with that booster so I can eventually install a firewall adjuster for my clutch cable when I do the next clutch swap (I have a new cable for that moment). I used the Maximum Motorsport "2 to 3" brake line adapter kit to mate the new master cylinder to the proportioning valve. I have heard a Cobra MC is very good as well. I went SN-95 for the MC due to the cost being much less, and it does work well.

I am saving funds for a BBK long tube header H-Pipe right now. I traded a set of stupidly nice headlights for a brand new set of BBK long tubes. One step at a time.
    '88 Sport--T-5,HURST shifter,TMoss GT-40 intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,70mm t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster 40's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels,Mass Air, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Nice job Vman, certainly looks great.

When I did my 5 lug swap, the braking ability was less than what it was with the TC/ 11" stuff. Then again, I did have some expensive pads with the 11" setup......just used cheapo stuff with the 5 lug.

When I did the Mustang though, I had a set of hawk pads. Definitely whoas her down with them. So...good pads are a must
    '87 Mustang notch; 5 lug, PBR calipers, 3.55 gears, SFC's, mild 5.0 with '40P's, Cobra intake, E cam, BBK headers and X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust.
    "still slower than your grandma's scooter"..

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

I'll be upgrading pads later. I was reading about Hawk pads and think that is the direction I'd like to go. I sold some parts, and ordered a set of Nitto NT555 G2 tires. SO, I have no car funds at the moment. I also traded a mint set of headlights for a brand new set of BBK long tube headers. Gotta get an H-Pipe now. Gonna have to relieve myself of more parts soon.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Looks great! I bet it's much better in traffic.

I took the easy way out on mine and found an 88 XR7 drum brake 8.8. Eventually I'll have to swap to 11" front brakes. Should work fine for my needs.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

I took 8 months to gather parts. The car is doing a lot better now. I'm still going to re-bleed the brakes. I am also swapping a brake line. The line from the MC to the PV was spliced from two lines. While working well, just not "right". I grabbed an SN -95 line Saturday, and will swap it when time allows, soon.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Looks great, Vin.
    Long live the 4-eyes! - '83 Tbird Turbo

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

"like button".....
    -'87 turbo coupe with only 538 ORIGINAL miles....
    -'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......