Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Code 41 and 65. Will this hurt my motor?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    18
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Code 41 and 65. Will this hurt my motor?

    Car runs good, sounds good, runs around 200 degrees in 90 weather. O2 sensor, plugs, wires were replaced 100 miles ago. Just cleaned vam also. What is a hego circuit? Car is 1988 tc, auto,lb3. Only mod k&n. My g2 arrives today..I know carburetors but I'm am lost with this car.

    Code 41:
    Intermittent HEGO circuit (Signal or Ground)
    If Code 65 is also present, service faulty HEGO circuit (Signal or Ground)
    If Code 43 is also present, service Code 43 first.
    Airflow meter indicates low air flow. Check for vacuum leaks, intake air leaks, or a sticking air meter vane caused by contamination or frost.
    Low fuel pressure at WOT (low pressure fuel pump, restricted fuel supply via crimped fuel lines or plugged fuel filter)
    Low fuel flow at WOT with correct fuel pressure (clogged fuel injectors, low battery voltage)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Farmingdale, NY
    Posts
    9,048
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

    Default

    HEGO = oxygen sensors.
    -- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !! -- 87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's! http://www.fquick.com/V8Demon

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    East Coast Virginia
    Posts
    10,179
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V8Demon View Post
    HEGO = oxygen sensors.
    Actually that's heated oxygen sensor(s)...

    In addition to sensor output and heater power, has ground connections for both the sensor and heater... Common for the ground(s) to have a issue...






    My other rides (that actually do run & drive)

    1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed << New 49th Birthday Picture

    1972 Comet GT - 306 C4

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Posts
    2,549
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TurboCoupe50 View Post
    Actually that's heated oxygen sensor(s)...

    In addition to sensor output and heater power, has ground connections for both the sensor and heater... Common for the ground(s) to have a issue...
    Am I wrong in thinking the ground wire on the HEGO is only for the heater, and the threads are the ground for the sensor?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Posts
    2,549
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thedivergent03 View Post
    Car runs good, sounds good, runs around 200 degrees in 90 weather. O2 sensor, plugs, wires were replaced 100 miles ago. Just cleaned vam also. What is a hego circuit? Car is 1988 tc, auto,lb3. Only mod k&n. My g2 arrives today..I know carburetors but I'm am lost with this car.

    Code 41:
    Intermittent HEGO circuit (Signal or Ground)
    If Code 65 is also present, service faulty HEGO circuit (Signal or Ground)
    If Code 43 is also present, service Code 43 first.
    Airflow meter indicates low air flow. Check for vacuum leaks, intake air leaks, or a sticking air meter vane caused by contamination or frost.
    Low fuel pressure at WOT (low pressure fuel pump, restricted fuel supply via crimped fuel lines or plugged fuel filter)
    Low fuel flow at WOT with correct fuel pressure (clogged fuel injectors, low battery voltage)
    Do you have an orange wire hooked to ground somewhere close to the oxygen sensor? On the engine or manifold.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    East Coast Virginia
    Posts
    10,179
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by softtouch View Post
    Am I wrong in thinking the ground wire on the HEGO is only for the heater, and the threads are the ground for the sensor?
    Hell, I dunno...

    Am thinking of 5.0 with four wire sensors that connections are all wired.. AFAIK neither the sensor or heater ground through body of sensor...






    My other rides (that actually do run & drive)

    1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed << New 49th Birthday Picture

    1972 Comet GT - 306 C4

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Posts
    2,549
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TurboCoupe50 View Post
    Hell, I dunno...

    Am thinking of 5.0 with four wire sensors that connections are all wired.. AFAIK neither the sensor or heater ground through body of sensor...
    if the EVTM's are to be believed; the non-heated EGO's are one wire. The 86-87 5.0L HEGO's are 3 wire with the EGO ground wire on the back of the heads.
    I can't tell what the 88's are from the EVTM. If they are four wire then they wouldn't need the ground wires on the heads.

    Thedivergent03; If your O2 sensor has three wires you should have an orange ground wire somewhere near the O2 sensor. The head, engine block or exhaust manifold. Best I can tell it should go into the engine control cable harness along the right side fender wall.
    If you have the four wire O2 sensor you shouldn't need the ground wire.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Fairborn, OH
    Posts
    1,479
    Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

    Default

    The orange ground wire on the 2.3 cars is usually bolted onto the turbo inlet.
    1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
    2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
    2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •