Thread: Headlights are very dim/dark

Feedback Score

Default Headlights are very dim/dark

I took the headlight buckets out of car cleaned the inside of bucket and renewed outside. Sanding to polishing. I installed silverstar zxe headlights and there still very dark... Anyone else have this issue or know something I should check in the wiring?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Relay mod. Search it.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0
    GT40P, TFS-1, KB domes, 30#, MAF conversion, Explorer GT40 Upper/Lower, Smog delete, Wide Ratio AOD Mod, Unlocked Speedo, 3G Charging System Upgrade, Hi-Torque Mini Starter, 3.73 LSD, BBK 1 5/8 unequal headers, H-Pipe.

88 Thunderbird/Cougar EVTM
    (Thanks to Trinom for hosting)

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

in my diy link below,, both you and i contributed to......... divergent,, if you have trouble,, call

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

another thing.........
    with car at idle,,,,
    -measure from the output directly on the alt to chassis ground.
    -document it.
    measure from battery + to ground , and the hot wire up at you headlight to ground.

document all three readings.

this voltage loss is significatly reduced somewhere around 90% or more just by doing a slave relay to your Head & marker lamps.

Feedback Score

Ok thank you for the help. I will do some checking.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Thedivergent03 View Post
    I took the headlight buckets out of car cleaned the inside of bucket and renewed outside. Sanding to polishing. I installed silverstar zxe headlights and there still very dark... Anyone else have this issue or know something I should check in the wiring?
    Where in WA you located at?

Could be multiple things. A weak alternator may not be giving you sufficient Voltage. A dying headlight switch could be high resistance. The reflector material inside the headlights may be damaged from moisture or heat.

Measure Voltage at the bulb socket to get an idea of what's happening. Then measure at the battery and alternator.

If alternator is fine, at a minimum, adding relays will give you twice the light (and make the bulbs burn out sooner). New headlights housings may also help quite a bit, if the reflector is no longer reflecting.