Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Center console trim gray, what is the paint code?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I will scan in the 83-86 interior DuPont charts I have next week sometime. Take the DuPont codes with you, they may be able to cross reference them to a PPG code.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Alright, I had a semi-successful run to the auto paint store. They are mixing the interior paint at one location, then shipping it to another to have it put in an aerosol can. I'll get it early next week to actually spray it and see what we've got.

After taking the sample books out in the sun and comparing it to 3 random 1985-88 interior panels (one of which is NOS), I'm about 98% confident we have a winner with Raven.

PPG - 9520

This color is sometimes listed as a truck interior color (Raven), and sometimes listed as just Black amongst other black shades, but the 9520 and 9612 codes consistently came up from 1985-88. Also, the two numbers were for low gloss and semi gloss, but again, those switched around from year to year. Just like the dealer books, everything was chaos up until 1985, and once we got to 1986 things were a lot more informative and orderly.

So there we go. I'll get pix of the sprayed panel (before and after) along with a side-by-side comparison with the NOS piece for reference.

Assuming this is all correct, the next step is to try and find the same or equivalent color in a commercially-available spray can (SEM, Duplicolor, etc.) for ease of use and widespread availability. But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. For now I'm doing a very small, tightly-controlled victory dance.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Awesome. The two local PPG guys mix spray cans on site so, if this is the correct color, it will be easy for me to get it made.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score

Awesome. As you said, if we have a match, trying to find the closest SEM (or other) commercially available spray can would be great.