Thread: Differential pinion shaft lock bolt rounded

Feedback Score

Default Differential pinion shaft lock bolt rounded

Had a good look inside my diff while changing the oil to find the spider gears are badly worn and need replacing the only problem is some monkey has total destroyed​ the head of the bolt looks like they have rounded it then put mole grips on it then beaten the living daylights out of it with a chisel it's more oval than round now.any ideas how to get this out?.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

>hammer a smaller socket on it
    >weld a nut on it
    >try something like this http://www.harborfreight.com/9-pc-38...set-67894.html
    good luck man

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

With enough patience, small vice grips should do it if you can get them in there. I've had good success with a rusted out broken head bolt and small rounded brake lines recently. You just clamp it down as tight as you can, push on it till it slips, the two it back off, twist it in a bit, reclamp, repeat.

Takes a long time, but usually works unless the bolt head breaks off.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Probably loctite. If that's the case, clean away as much gear oil as possible, and heat the carrier around the pin. Propane should be hot enough. If the problem is loctite, that much heat should do. Obviously, plan for the possibility of leftover brake cleaner or stray gear oil catching fire. I wouldn't want to hear that my advice cost you your car.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0
    GT40P, TFS-1, KB domes, 30#, MAF conversion, Explorer GT40 Upper/Lower, Smog delete, Wide Ratio AOD Mod, Unlocked Speedo, 3G Charging System Upgrade, Hi-Torque Mini Starter, 3.73 LSD, BBK 1 5/8 unequal headers, H-Pipe.

88 Thunderbird/Cougar EVTM
    (Thanks to Trinom for hosting)

Feedback Score

Ok thanks for the advice will get this done soon when i have spare cash to buy the spider gears.Car has been a real pain this year keeps ending up on the back of a tow truck seams to like it up there too much.As for fire done that to an opel manta trying to heat a stubborn rear axle bolt,big fire,big red fire engine i always have a fire extinguisher close when i work with heat or fuel related work don't what to ever whatch my pride and joy burn again.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Personal experience here...if you have a car, you need a fire extinguisher. Maybe two. Do a lot of fuel/oil/solvent work? Get the appropriate one...

Just passing on a painful life lesson without the pain.
    '87 Mustang notch; 5 lug, PBR calipers, 3.55 gears, SFC's, mild 5.0 with '40P's, Cobra intake, E cam, BBK headers and X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust.
    "still slower than your grandma's scooter"..

Feedback Score

I've used the attached bolt extractors with good luck.
    Kit is actually 10 pieces 3/4"/19mm to 3/8". Two 5 piece kits. Can be used on SAE or metric.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-BOLT-...tor-Set/501462