Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swapping 89 5.0 HO into my turbo coupe

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

If I remember correctly doesn't some year 5.0 F-150 fuel rail hook up to the TC lines? If so that would also save you the hassle of having to swap 5.0 fuel lines in from the tank to the engine bay.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Any updates?
    87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter 3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates, Work In Progress....... ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yes, Sorry about the huge delay in updates but with getting a new job, moving, and dealing with family its hard to find time to work on the bird but I have got quite a bit done in the last couple months here and there. Unfortunately my phone doesn't let me sign in so that a downer.
    Anyways, I got the tranny and motor dropped in, makes it much easier with an engine leveler, didn't have to remove the front clip this time, foxbody pedals are installed, I also installed the rear end from my foxbody because I had already done the sn95 cobra brake conversion and it has a better limited slip unit (eaton i believe), it does still have the fox axle flange to flange width but for the time it works great, the 04 cobra wheels are a little sunk in on the rear but i plan to get me some sn95 axles help fix that. That will about bring me back to stock T-bird axle flange to flange width and let me install my cobra anti moan brackets which are much needed at low speeds.
    As far as the fuel lines I was able to reuse the fox fuel rails and hardlines which end at the front passenger side of the car, near the bottom of the block and with some creativity I was able to retrofit them to the t-bird hardlines which were rerouted to the under the passenger side motor mount and able to meet with the fox hardlines.
    as far as the wiring, with the help of some stock t-bird and foxbody diagrams, I temporarily mended most of the foxbody engine harness, salt shakers and all to the t-bird engine bay wiring. After rearranging some ECU pins, getting the correct relays to switch, and adding some for the extra pins and wires for the injectors I was finally able to get it to fire and idle after much trouble shooting. Just hearing it come alive brought so much relief.
    So at this point I still have to finish up some wiring, wrap it up to look nice, fix my driveshaft length issue, install the rest of the engine accessories and exhaust, and I should be all set. The swap is easy, getting it all to work and function like its supposed to is the hard part haha. I can't wait to get her finished up though.
    Its a huge job to get it all to work but it'll definitely be worth it once I'm done.
    1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring, K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
    Running Better Than Ever

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Remember that the 94-98 V6 SN95 Mustangs and the 94-98 V8 SN95 Mustangs use the same axles and rear brakes and that the 87-98 8.8 housings are the same. So on the brakes you will need the Cobra specific bracket that bolts to the flange on axle tube. This is what the brake caliper bracket bolts to.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yes the rear end I put in off my foxbody was already swapped from stock drums to sn95 cobra spec using the Ford racing m2300m kit. At the time it was meant for my foxbody and I wanted to keep the stock fox width so what I did was slot the "welded on axle tube bracket to cobra spec caliper bracket" bracket to let it slide over the tube and let it bolt on the inside of the axle tube bracket to let me use foxbody length 5-lug axles. everything lined up perfect and is/was running great, fox width, except no antimoan brackets installed because of the modification i would have to do to the to accommodate the less space on the axle tube to be installed correctly. All i need is to get some 94-98 stock axles and i should be set, I could flip and swap the brackets from RH side to LH side from the kit, Install my new cobra antimoan brackets from the kit and i should be good to go. I have everything I need to get my stock T-bird flange to flange width once I get my hands on some more sn95 axles.
    1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring, K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
    Running Better Than Ever

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I couldn't find the original thread where this is documented but i found one with the exact details and another with the pictures to do this, I've got quite a bit of some miles on this setup and it works great, just thought I would throw this out ther in case anybody would find it helpful.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...x-length-axles
    https://www.ranger-forums.com/engine...ear-end-95557/

I had sold off my stock TC rear end and installed this rear end to fund some my swap and parts and so far it's worked out pretty good.
    Running Better Than Ever

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thunderjet302 View Post
    If I remember correctly doesn't some year 5.0 F-150 fuel rail hook up to the TC lines? If so that would also save you the hassle of having to swap 5.0 fuel lines in from the tank to the engine bay.
    Does anyone recall if this is correct?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Fearnot View Post
    Maybe but I doubt it, a 5.0 is far wider than 2.3... Likely require serious "adjusting" at least...

I swapped lines from a 5.0 Bird into mine...

My other rides (that actually do run & drive)

1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed << New 49th Birthday Picture

1972 Comet GT - 306 C4

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thunderjet302 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearnot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboCoupe50 View Post
    Maybe but I doubt it, a 5.0 is far wider than 2.3... Likely require serious "adjusting" at least...

I swapped lines from a 5.0 Bird into mine...
    I swear someone on here did it, but it was years ago.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Ok so I've been slowly getting all the little details worked out and it's getting there. Most of the wiring is all good to go, all I have to do is connect a couple wires to the instrument panel and it should all be done. Ecm and fuel relays along with the baro sensor were mounted in front of the pass side shock tower and it fires up quite nicely. All accessories are in place as well as all the cooling components on the front end. I do still need to square away the exhaust.
    Right now I have my bbk longtubes and h pipe on but the mufflers from the fox are a bit too short and need some lengthening. The muffler hangars are also missing so I'll probably need to track some down to support the mufflers. One issue I've ran into is the h pipe drops off a bit too close to the passenger side inside the tunnel. Does the h pipe need to be lengthened as well to get it straight?
    Anyone who runs long-tubes, some advice would be appreciated
    Running Better Than Ever