Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replace instrument cluster

Feedback Score

This shows the new light sockets installed. 2nd picture shows the wiring. I used a connector from the door of a Lincoln. That way I can easily remove the cluster if I need to. A 4 pin connector will be used for the ABS and Check Engine lights. I used a P-Touch to make the wire labels. I will be removing the existing cluster plug and using the female Lincoln plug in it's place. All wire connections are horse tail spliced and soldered.

IMG_5690.jpg

Feedback Score

Got side tracked today. Decided to see if I could make the mirror, window and switch panel look presentable. Damn decal Ford used was blistering, more came off every time I cleaned it. Hated those silver spots.

IMG_5698.jpgIMG_5700.jpg

Feedback Score

This was the smoke test. I actually used 3 plugs to connect the cluster- 1- 18 pin, (for the cluster), 1- 4 pin, (for the check engine and ABS lights), 1- bullet connector, (for the 12v ignition power). Remember I changed my indicator lights out for LED's? Well it looks like I ran into a problem. All of the lights- brake, ABS, check engine all work like they're supposed to. The high beam and turn signal stay on continuously. Turn signals blink when making a turn, high beam doesn't affect the head lights. The indicator lights just stay on. Tried installing a diode in line but didn't do anything. Somehow I'm getting a backfeed on those 2 lights. Going to do some research wwith the EVTM and schematics and see if I can find the problem.

IMG_5714.jpg

Feedback Score

Cluster installed. Still researching the problem with the turn and bright light indicators. Anyone with an idea I'd appreciate the help. Please excuse the steering wheel cover. The steering wheel is a sentimental part from my original 87 Sport Coupe, bought new, total by my wife 10/03. Bought this car in 11/03 and after 2yrs of work had it on the road in 11/05. I live in Nevada and a cover is necessary during summer to prevent 2nd degree burns. The black door handles are also a problem.

I would not of attempted this without the great information on this site. And a "Thank You" to JeremyB and Eric for the information and links. Sure made it easier.

IMG_5723.jpg

Feedback Score

One last thing is a picture of the re-built switch panel. Worked out pretty good. The covering is 3M gray metallic vinyl, the lettering is by a Brother P Touch using white on clear weatherproof tape. I used the same color vinyl on the cluster. I also made one using 3M Matt Black with the same lettering. The gray seems to look better. Made a new panel where the cigarette lighter is adding a 12v power point. That is covered in the 3M Matt Black with the white lettering.

IMG_5726.jpg

Feedback Score

Installed the Autometer Speedometer GPS Interface, (5289), because I will be trying different size tires on the rear and don't want to re-calibrate my speedometer each time. Easy hookup. Very accurate. Can be used with other brand speedometers.

Just something I tried in case someone wanted to try building a cluster and use existing lamps and sockets.

IMG_5754.JPG

Feedback Score

Got 2 "new" bezels, excellent condition with all mounting points intact, from Ron Hartman and re-covered the brushed metal face with the same 3M vinyl I used on the cluster face. A little tedious but actually turned out better than the pictures. Cluster work is now complete. All gauges, lights now work and the GPS unit for the speedometer is definitely the way to go

IMG_5769.jpgIMG_5770.jpg

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

You did an awesome job on everything. Kudos!

Feedback Score

Thank you Eric. It would of been way more difficult without your help and the great information on this site. The TC is my baby, or mistress as my wife says. I'll continue to post, with pictures as I upgrade. Thanks again for your help.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

man that looks good! that's the same exact way I want mine to look. now time to start saving....
    2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
    1988 Thunderbird sport
    2004 Ford F150 Lariat
    2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
    1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
    1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone