Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tapping explorer intake for ACT

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Some of the aftermarket intakes give up runner length and plenum volume for max horsepower, the GT40 doesn't. Even with all that's available, the GT40 is still one of the best "all around" intakes in terms of torque vs RPM. After all, Horsepower isn't real, it's the result of a calculation (which is why torque and HP are always equal at 5750rpm).
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0
    GT40P, TFS-1, KB domes, 30#, MAF conversion, Explorer GT40 Upper/Lower, Smog delete, Wide Ratio AOD Mod, Unlocked Speedo, 3G Charging System Upgrade, Hi-Torque Mini Starter, 3.73 LSD, BBK 1 5/8 unequal headers, H-Pipe.

88 Thunderbird/Cougar EVTM
    (Thanks to Trinom for hosting)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFoeYouKnow View Post
    Also, while you're drilling and tapping, you should consider opening the coolant port for the EGR cooler, it's there on the Explorer intake, but like the ACT, it's just a flat boss, so you're left with a return fitting on the coolant manifold, but no coolant feed. I don't recall the drill size, but I'm pretty sure the tap was 1/8 NPT.
    Is that for all explorer intakes, I haven't heard that one before.... Please share.
    Mike

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

All of them. On the HO lower, the front nipple for the EGR cooler is in the coolant tubes that run down that side of the intake, but the feed fitting is in the intake toward the rear. On GT40 intakes, this is not drilled and tapped, but it is there as a flat spot.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0
    GT40P, TFS-1, KB domes, 30#, MAF conversion, Explorer GT40 Upper/Lower, Smog delete, Wide Ratio AOD Mod, Unlocked Speedo, 3G Charging System Upgrade, Hi-Torque Mini Starter, 3.73 LSD, BBK 1 5/8 unequal headers, H-Pipe.

88 Thunderbird/Cougar EVTM
    (Thanks to Trinom for hosting)