Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: doesnt idle cold, hard start, IAC adjustment?

Feedback Score

Google eec-iv codes. This will tell you how to pull codes without the code reader also check out diy stuff on this site.

Feedback Score

Maybe this will help:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by bootleggers deluxe View Post
    sounds like i need to check fuses, i know in newer cars, there is a fuse that powers the OBD port. however, since using a scanner on these involves an external power source, i would think that it wouldnt be the same issue.
    There is no power in a OBD-I test port, scanner has to be self powered or have a battery connection... Some computers just won't communicate with the scanner, had that problem with my '93 lightning and the pocket sized scanner I used on my Bird... Using a OTC it was fine... You can call me lazy but chance I'd ever go back to counting blinks are zero & none...

With a idle issue you need to be sure the base idle is up to spec... That's the idle speed without the ISC assisting...

My other rides (that actually do run & drive)

1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed << New 49th Birthday Picture

1972 Comet GT - 306 C4

Feedback Score

Softtouch, that was extremely helpful, thank you. I will be doing that tomorrow morning.

Tubrocoupe50, i would like to think my Blue point scan tool that is capable of doing both OBD1 and OBD2 would be capable enough to accomplish such things, however, i shouldnt always put my faith on whatever comes off that big white truck with red letters.

You mentioned bumping the base idle up, where is the adjusting screw for that? i looked and got stumped. I think the idle seems a bit low, i would love to bump it up a bit.

Ive been driving the car about 150 miles over the weekend, it has been a bit easier to start ( 2-3 attempts, instead of 15-20) but i still need to assist with a foot pump to get it going, and i need to hold a high idle manually with the gas pedal for a few minutes to get it properly warmed up before taking off. other than that, it seems to run flawlessly, it cruses nicely. I'd just like to get the hard start and idle issues sorted out.

Feedback Score

There is no "base idle adjustment" with the 3.8L CFI Idle Speed Control motor (ISC) system.

Feedback Score

ok peeps, so i got it good and warmed up, a nice 10 mile drive, and followed the instructions above. made a jumper wire, put it into "test mode" and the plunger did not retract on the IAC. wheres my next move?

Feedback Score

Have you ever seen the ISC plunger move?

Hook up a test light or an analog volt meter to see if you are going into test mode.
    You should see the light blink or the meter needle sweep as it outputs codes.

If no codes; try jumpering the pigtail wire to ground instead to the six pin test connector.
    Does it now output codes? If so, this indicates a blown signal return land pattern in the EEC computer

When you put the ignition switch in run (without starting) can you here the fuel pump start and then shut off after a couple of seconds? normal
    Or does it run continuously? not normal

This sounds like a bunch of dumb stuff to do but it tests the condition of your EEC.

By the way; your car doesn't have an IAC (Idle Air Control). That is used on EFI and SEFI engines not on CFI.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by softtouch; 12-27-2016 at 01:21 PM.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by softtouch View Post
    There is no "base idle adjustment" with the 3.8L CFI Idle Speed Control motor (ISC) system.
    Uhhh yeah, having never owned a 3.8(no I won't touch one) I forget these things...

My other rides (that actually do run & drive)

1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed << New 49th Birthday Picture

1972 Comet GT - 306 C4

Feedback Score

ok, Softtouch, heres what i got to answer your questions.

I cannot say i have ever seen the plunger move in the idle air thingie since i installed it. the one that was on the car when i got it made a very loud buzzing noise, i was told that that was a pretty sure sign it had failed, and so i took the chance and replaced the part.

I will follow your test procedures with a test light next time i am working on the car, i will let you know the results from both the test wire , and from grounding out the test wire.
    The fuel pump does run for 3-4 seconds and shut off, which i have considered a proper priming, but i guess i may be incorrect on this particular model.

your diagrams have been extremely useful for me, please keep them coming. I'm a professional mechanic, but i only deal in undercar (brakes, suspension, exhaust, alignment, etc) and have never had a lot of hands on experience or training in engine diagnostics. however, i do understand the basics, and will gladly walk through whatever steps have been placed in front of me. so for that, i thank you.

Also, a new symptom today. I was driving the car home (approx 10 miles, highway speeds, car was running in town for about 10 minutes prior to that) the car seemed like it was running out of fuel while going 55 mph. i stomped on the gas and it motored out of it, but it happened a total of three times in the last two miles of highway driving home. once it was back home, it sat and idled like nothing happened.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TurboCoupe50 View Post
    Uhhh yeah, having never owned a 3.8(no I won't touch one) I forget these things...
    Trust me, the 3.8 is far from my favorite engine. my parents both had a lincoln contiental with them in it (92 and 93) and they both blew the head gaskets at the same time. fun stuff, doing back to back head gasket jobs.

i keep thinking that if i dont get this thing to run right, i should grab one of my spare 351Windsors and shove it in. I can tune a carb.