Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better brakes

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Better brakes

I've been doing alot to the car this year and I'm wondering what's a good pair of brakes to run. I have 4 lug 8.8 disc Rear end what's a good pair of brakes that will fit that setup for front and back. Also I want to upgrade my air shocks because mine leak. Anybody have a clue what will work

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Here's a great site with lots of detailed "how to" for upgrading your brakes.

http://www.coolcats.net/modifying/11inchbrake.html

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

There are not a lot of options with four lug as far as larger diameter rear rotors so you will need to look at pad compounds. There are a couple of options on the front of which the most common is to upgrade to the 11" TC / 11" Fox Mustang 5.0 brakes. Again, after this is you are limited to pad compounds. I think Bear offers a large diameter four lug kit for the front but you will need to knock off a couple 7/11's to afford them.

I tell everyone that to get superior brakes on these cars it requires moving to 5 lug utilizing the brakes off of a SN95 Mustang. Big draw back is moving from four lug to five lug wheels.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

And of course going to 5 lug opens up the possibly of Cobra brakes, which are pricey, but if you auto-x or do a lot of spirited driving....and you're going to need new wheels anyway, so now is a good time for at least 17 inchers....

My buddy Steve put some 13" brakes on his '95, once it was dialed in, the thing would stop faster than I expected. I think he also used Hawk pads...definitely worth the money.
    '87 Mustang notch; 5 lug, PBR calipers, 3.55 gears, SFC's, mild 5.0 with '40P's, Cobra intake, E cam, BBK headers and X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust.
    "still slower than your grandma's scooter"..

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

99' - 03' Mach 1's/bullets also have 13 inchers. One can get New calipers with brackets from a chain store reasonably. I did that, they don't say cobra but that was ok with me. The rotors/calipers/brackets aren't too badly priced at Rockauto.

86' T/C 2.3L
    86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
    04' Monte Carlo 3.4L
    16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I just want to clarify on which cars and years that the 13 inch and 11.5 inch "Cobra" brakes came on. This is good info to have when hunting this brake system up as they are getting a bit more difficult to source other than out of a parts store.

The Mach 1's were only built in 2003 & 2004
    The Bullits were only built in 2001, 2008, & 2009 but I believe that the only brakes that will work on our cars with the SN95 conversion will be the 2001. Would have to do more digging on that if anyone absolutely wanted to know. I think when the cars made the dramatic switch in 2005 the braking and suspension geometry up front changed as well.

The brakes that will work to upgrade to 13" in the front and 11.5" in the rear would be from the following:

95-98 Cobra
    99 Cobra
    01 Cobra
    03-04 Cobra commonly referred to as a Terminator
    01 Bullitt
    03-04 Mach 1

There was a 5.8L 1995 Cobra R but good luck finding one of those for the brakes. Only 2000 Cobra built was the 5.4L R model and it has bigger brakes and again good luck getting those brakes. The 2002 Cobra was built but only exported to Australia so there goes that option for the most part. Another note is for the 03-04 Terminator rear brakes is that you can use the rotors and calipers but I believe the caliper brackets are different due to the independent rear suspension set up. Again, research here would be necessary.

Feedback Score

FWIW.... in my build thread of my 83 TC I detail probably what your lookin for.

I used a new stock booster,85 Lincoln master, gutted proportioning valve,87-93 Mustang 11" fronts,stainless caliper sleeves,braided lines,adjustable valve for rears, 88 TC 8.8 with new stock brake parts. I wanted to stay 4 lug to use a set of 93 Cobra 17" wheels. Car stops great.
    Brian R.
    88 2.3t Ranger
    83 TC gt40p motor,Vortech,TFS1 cam,long tubes,MS PnP,T5,8.8,17x9 Cobra 17s

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

X2 on above for a four lug setup. Again, the only way it will get better with the four lug is by running some really good pads like ECD or Hawk. I looked up the part numbers for the RedStuff and HPS as I have had experience with both and for me its just whichever one I can get cheaper. The Mark VII, 87-93 5.0 Mustang, and 87-88 TC's all use the same pad up front and the 87-88 TC and 93 Cobra use the same pad in the rear. I would double check my part numbers before you order but they should be right.

ECD RedStuff:
    Front - DP31166C
    Rear - DP31172C

Hawk HPS:
    Front - HB125F.650
    Rear - HB580F.627

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

The Mark VII caliper is 73mm vs. the 60mm used on the 11" Mustang/Turbo Coupe brakes.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Still utilizes the same brake pad. The larger bore distributes pressure more evenly over the brake pad thus increases the braking but its negligible for the BS a person has to go through to put them on i.e. a master cylinder change to a 1-1/8" bore MC. Ford finally figured this out when they went to a twin piston caliper on all '99 and up V6 and V8 Mustangs. This is the caliper to run if you swap the the base SN95 GT or V6 brakes and only requires a small mod to the 94-98 spindles. I the stock single piston caliper from the V6/V8 94-98 SN95 Mustangs on my first SN95 swap. I shortly went to the '99+ twin piston calipers and it was like night and day difference. Cool thing was swapping calipers did not require a MC change so it was truly a bolt on.