Thread: Mustang Ecoboost 2.3L in my Turbo Coupe? Crazy idea? Pointless?

Feedback Score

Default Mustang Ecoboost 2.3L in my Turbo Coupe? Crazy idea? Pointless?

Does the 2.3L Ecoboost have anything in common with my 85 2.3L or are they totally different? How feasible would it be? What do y'all think about this idea?

race-red-1012.jpg

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Nothing in common at all with the old 2.3T. It would be a cool swap but not a really easy/cheap project.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Being as the new 302 costs well over 11k without everything you need to drop it in, I wouldn't even want to know what a transmission costs.

Only way I see it being cost effective is if you pick up a wrecked car.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Feedback Score

It's just a crazy idea. Probably never do it.....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Get a 5.0 out of a 11-14 F150, change the intake cams and the only other difference is 1/2 point less compression than the 5.0 Coyote in the 11-14 Mustangs. The ECM from the F150 can be reflashed to the Mustang program, the PATS can be deleted and now you have an ECM that will control the 6 speed auto. All of this can be had for under $5K if a person can do all of the wrenching themselves. This is what I am doing in my '70 F100 only it will be sporting a Precision Turbo with an intercooler for about 700-800 rwhp. Should have it built in about two years if I can ever find time to do it.

Anyhow, just trying to point out that the new 5.0 Coyote swap is not limited to the crate motors and that why on earth would you put the 2.3 ecoboost in a car when you can do a 5.0 Coyote for less and have more power. If you are after mpg then I get it but there are cheaper ways.

Feedback Score

I like the way you think.

Feedback Score

Those are great ideas. The Ecoboost idea was just A, do something different and to keep the Turbo 4 platform....

Feedback Score

1987 Mercury Cougar XR-7 (46k)
    image.jpg