Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Soft ( low ) peddle after 8.8 TC rear axle swap

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

If you wan to run an MC with two independent reservoirs then use the '85 Lincoln Town Car MC. The 1" diameter MC will still be your best bet as the 10" brake cars use the same caliper as the 11" brake cars.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

85 Town Car has drum brakes at the rear. Does the MC have some kind of pressure valve, which keeps a residual pressure in rear brakes, or not?
    '85 Thunderbird TC '86 Thunderbird TC '97 Scorpio 2.3 GHIA

T-Bird / Cougar DIY stuff

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

No. You do not want residual pressure on the brakes as that will cause them to drag. The combination valve which houses the proportion valve has a check valve in it which is supposed to stop a leak in the rear brakes from draining the MC. This is the brass block that the lines from the MC go into on the driver inner fender. Being that the TOwn Car MC has two reservoirs the check valve side of the combination valve redundant but does not affect how it works.

The MC does not care if the brakes are drum or disc. You are sizing the piston in the MC to displace a give amount of fluid at a pressure. The 85 Lincoln TC is a proven MC for disc brakes for either the Fox TC setup (also the 93 Cobra brakes) or the SN95 brakes.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Perfect, thanks!
    I didn't know, where the valve is located. This is very positive info for me.
    '85 Thunderbird TC '86 Thunderbird TC '97 Scorpio 2.3 GHIA

T-Bird / Cougar DIY stuff

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Glad to help but I am basically regurgitating all the research I did when I swapped out the brakes on my cars. Most of this info is very readily available on the Mustang sites but you have to wade through a lot of BS to get to the threads that have good info.

Feedback Score

Good read. I am experiencing a low pedal on my 86 5.0 Elan after the 8.8/disc brake swap. Not spongy, just low. Was thinking a different master cylinder might be required.
    1986 Thunderbird Elan 5.0 EFI AOD, 3.73:1 SN95 rear, 17" Mustang Bullitts w/Firestone WO Indy 500's. Future plan: 349 stroker, C9 block, forged dish pistons, Scat 9000 crank, 4340 I beam rods, ARP head/main studs, ported explorer intake, 1.72 CC RR, Vortech V2 supercharger, Mr. Freeze Meth Inj, intercooler, TFS 190 11R CNC heads (66CC), BBK shorties with 2.5" duals, 4R70W Transmission, Taurus fan.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

If you are still on the stock MC then I would upgrade it to one of the ones mentioned and install a manual proportioning valve and adjust accordingly.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Aerocoupe View Post
    If you are still on the stock MC then I would upgrade it to one of the ones mentioned and install a manual proportioning valve and adjust accordingly.
    I am and will be upgrading.
    1986 Thunderbird Elan 5.0 EFI AOD, 3.73:1 SN95 rear, 17" Mustang Bullitts w/Firestone WO Indy 500's. Future plan: 349 stroker, C9 block, forged dish pistons, Scat 9000 crank, 4340 I beam rods, ARP head/main studs, ported explorer intake, 1.72 CC RR, Vortech V2 supercharger, Mr. Freeze Meth Inj, intercooler, TFS 190 11R CNC heads (66CC), BBK shorties with 2.5" duals, 4R70W Transmission, Taurus fan.