Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 84 XR-7 Project

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by daminc View Post
    that'll keep you out of trouble for a while
    For a little while, until it's time to break in the engine

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

The usual spots. Always loved this car. Can't wait to see it back together!
    -- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !! -- 87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's! http://www.fquick.com/V8Demon

Feedback Score

On Friday, I gutted the trunk and pulled the rear bumper off. Found an additional hole on the left side where the rear bumper holes are in the quarter panel. Non-structural and not visible with the bumper on. I won't be too picky about how that gets fixed.

Pulled all the sound deadening crap off the trunk floor. Only good thing about a 31 year old neglected car is that stuff peeled right off for the most part. Pulled the carpet and removed all the jute backing by pressure washing it off. I don't know what I'm doing with the trunk yet. It might stay bare with some custom side panels to prevent things from flying around and putting dents in the quarters....again. Learned that lesson the hard way. Carpet is in decent shape but will need to be dyed if I use it. Unlike the interior carpet, I can't get the trunk carpet new.

Also found that my Cougar...a car...is better at killing mice than my actual cats...who play with mice. Found about 6 in just the trunk! About 6...because I found just fir and goo in the driver side plastic compartment thing.

This Friday I hope to tackle the front. I don't know how far I'm going to get. I'd like to at least get the front bumper off. If I feel up to the challenge, I'll have the header and fenders off too. I also need to free up some space so I can start to gut the interior.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It has been awhile since I have been online. But this looks like it will be a good rebuild! Good Luck!
    1987 Cougar XR7 5.0
    1992 Ranger 4.0
    2013 F-150 FX4 5.0

Feedback Score

Finally got the mess sorted out in my dad's pole building. Got the car inside and started tearing into it. We're a few months behind now, but we should be fine now that it's inside with a decent amount of working room.

The hood is going to get completely stripped. These bubbles popped up about 2 years after the orange went down. No idea why. The factory paint was in good shape when we got the hood.

Trunk was pulled apart during the warmer weather. There was a puddle in the rear part of the spare well. Don't know where it came from as the seal isn't in too bad of shape and all the holes that are exposed would have put the water in the side pockets.

Pulled all the trim off. Have to strip it and decide on color.

A few years back, my cousin hit a golf ball, or should I say shanked, and it bounced off my parked car. It was a lucky shot, lucky for a few reasons. First it didn't break the window, second it didn't dent the quarter, but most lucky, for me anyway, of all, it hit the quarter window trim.....at the EXACT location of one of the can't be replaced because no one makes them plastic clips. So I'm in need of a passenger quarter window trim piece with plastic clips intact. Please keep me in mind when scouring the junk yards please.

Passenger side strut tower just needs a light blasting and new paint.

Driver side needs a little more attention, but it appears to be surface rust. So I'm happy there.

I hope to update this much more frequently now. This is the only major project I have planned for this winter. Hopefully come spring my wife and I have our own space to call home. I don't like using my dad's garage, but he's on board. We just need to have the body and chassis work done this winter to remain on schedule.

I really wanted to do a video series about this build. I'm not much for being in front of the camera though, especially talking. Maybe if I get over that I'll do some videos. I'd really like to start a regularly updated YouTube channel. I can't be any worse that some of the crap that's out there...and somehow get hundreds of thousands of views. Maybe I'll do a few once the engine stuff gets underway. Maybe a trans video, or converting my TC rear to 5 lug. We'll see.

As I mentioned above, keep an eye out for any 4 eye Cougars with good quarter window trim. I'm going to have a large list of one off things I'm going to need in the coming months. Such as all the rubber stuff for the doors. I plan on getting the Steele Rubber kit, but that doesn't include the most important pieces...the window channels. Mine are rock hard and have shrunk 5 sizes.

Thanks for looking and keep checking back. I hope this build gathers the momentum it needs to get finished for the 50th Anniversary.

Feedback Score

You'd think there was a snow storm or something.

The process of stripping the hood has begun. There are a few dents to tend to first, before the chem stripper is applied.

My dad was tending to the hood while I tackled the interior.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind this, putting the Low Fuel Warning Switch here? Both my dad and myself are pretty confused by its placement.

Feedback Score

I tried to capture the crazy differnce in color between new and 32 year faded carpet. It's much more dramatic in person. New carpet going in, probably will be black in color, maybe a dark gray. The bluish gray factory color just doesn't do it for me.

Carpet out. Passenger side foot well jute was soaked. Don't know why, it's been inside for almost a month and as far as I know, the door seal still works. Any water getting in the door would have gone out the door bottom. The car hasn't been driven since 2010 so the soaked insulation has me confused. Driver's side was pretty dry, but a new hole developed.

Found this punch card under the driver's seat under the carpet.

Next will be to remove all of the factory asphalt material on the floor and begin getting the holes fixed and rust under control. Then the first chassis mods, subframe connectors, rocker tie ins, and jacking rails. Most important being the SFC's because engine removal and door repairs are being put off until those get put in.

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

Nice work so far. I like seeing someone making progress. My funds have been zero for quite some time. I almost went with that color on my Sport, but green was the way we went. It looks great.
    '88 Sport--T-5,HURST shifter,TMoss GT-40 intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,70mm t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster 40's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels,Mass Air, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Feedback Score

Been busy since last weekend, so there should be more than one update this week. I'd like to update more but my work schedule doesn't allow me to work on the car, sleep, and update this little scrapbook.

Pulled all the forward asphalt sound deadening. What a pain in the butt. It wasn't hard, just awkward to position myself to use my hammer and various scrapers. Logged about 12 hours just pulling all that out, after work. So I was in the garage from 1:30 til about 4-4:30 AM every night. Friday being my day off, I got to spend a lot more time scraping. I cannot wait to pull the rear interior out and scrape some more. /s <-- (that means "end sarcasm" for those who don't speak internet.)

Yay holes! Don't get me wrong, I'm very relieved that it isn't MUCH worse. I did drive this car in the winter for a few years. I also jumped it, and slid it, and stopped traffic with localized fog with it. The fact this car is as straight as it is boggles my mind. Anyway, onto other things:

As is customary, nest inside of HVAC unit.

Consider this a before image. Hopefully sooner rather than later, this harness will become one with another harness. I have some unique and interesting plans for this car. I just hope the pieces fall together soon, or else this will become a cookie cutter build.

I took a break from scraping to take care of one of the 4 million mini-projects this car will need in the coming months. Installed an aluminum 3 hook quadrant originally slated to be installed in my 90 Mustang GT. Since that car has since been downgraded to lawn ornament, it no longer needs this.

Feedback Score

A few days ago I jacked the car up on the driver side to start getting the underside ready for the SFCs. I also took a minute to look and plan the jack rails and other stiffening mods. I straightened the pinch weld where either a slipped jack or bottoming out on something bent it in. I also couldn't resist opening the door to see how much the car had twisted with just a jack under the front subframe. Now my hinge bushing are shot, so the door does the whole falls down a quarter inch thing when I open it. I'll be sure to get a video of before and after the SFCs. The door popped UP when I opened it. I didn't expect that. I thought maybe the door would have some resistance against the striker but not that it would pop up.