Finished the welding on the front seat cross member. The front pads sit night and level.
The rear is up next. I have the floor marked where the holes will need to be drilled. I drilled out the rear pad reinforcement plate from the donor. I just have to drill the holes, cut out the section of the reinforcement plate that the frame runs through, and plug weld the plate onto my floor. This section of the floor is surprisingly similar between the two cars.
Aerocoupe, thanks for the heads up with the rear of the seat. Judging by this pic, I think it'll have enough room for no interference.
Also reamed out the holes for the hydro-booster and got that fit up.
And a pic of the '99 pedal assembly bolted into my car and to the hydro-booster.
Then, to finish off the day, I put the driver seat and center console in to do a quick mock up for the steering column.
The angle is wrong, but with the dash shell set in place, it looks like there will be plenty of room to bring the column to a better angle. This is my goal for the end of the week. Once the column is mounted and fit with the dash frame, all of the interior metal fab will be done, and we can focus on getting the car inverted to finish the subframe connectors and get the underside prepped and painted.
I had to strip the timing cover yesterday. The chrome powder cured fine. Something funny happened with the clear coat. The finish came out with a wrinkle texture to it. The cover looked like it was cheaply spray canned. I have to try again as soon as my dad gets it re-glassbeaded. Hopefully it comes out better or else it will be going together ugly. Next weekend I want to fire the engine up, probably on my garage floor. Should be good times.
You're lucky to have your dad to help you out. Nice progress.
Got the column mounted. I still have some bracing to do. While I was working on that, my dad got the upper half of the firewall painted.
Also got the driveshaft length figured out. For those interested, a mod motor installed with a 94-04 style k-member, attached to a Tremec 3650, requires a driveshaft 3/4" shorter than the one I pulled out, or 48 1/2". The rear will come out in the coming days.
With the driveshaft figured out and the steering column fab work mostly done, it's time to get the car on its side. While that's going on, the engine needs to be fully assembled and moved to the lower garage to get attached to the transmission. The last parts to be removed from the donor are the steering shaft firewall pass-through bearing and the starter with associated wiring. Hopefully by next Sunday night, I can turn the key and breathe life into this beast.
After it fires up, for just a minute, I can get the wiring sorted out and start laying it in the car. Once the underside and engine bay are painted, it'll be a matter of getting everything into the car. Engine and trans first, then wiring, suspension, interior, so on...it'll be tight.
Man that's a tight schedule. No envy here LOL. Thanks for the updates, I hope we can keep encouraging you.