Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: 84 XR-7 Project

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I would think that the physical part of the engine swap would be just like putting one into a Fox Body Mustang?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Can't you just drop the engine in from the top?
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score

Yeah, the swap is the same as a Fox Mustang, with it's own quirks. For me, it's going to be easier to drop the body onto the cart. I don't have lift brackets and there isn't a place that makes me feel comfortable attaching chains to lift the engine and transmission. My hoist doesn't go high enough to clear the radiator support with the amount of tilt I have to work with either. After I remove the valve covers, the engine should clear the sway bar mounts. This transmission is a beast as well, so wrestling the trans to mount it to the engine laying on my side is out of the question.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

If they have access to a lift most of the modular guys just drop the k-member out of the car with the engine and trans attached and lift the car off of it. This is how Ford supposedly does it but I have never seen them do it just read the service procedure for R&R'ing a motor.

I finally remembered where I saw the sway bar relocation kits:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/MM...n-Kit-C83.aspx

Feedback Score

Those kits look to move the sway bar forward and not relocate the mounts to under the frame rail like on the SN95. My k-member doesn't move the wheels forward. I'll remember to look into those when I decide to upgrade to the MM k-member.

Yeah, it's easier to remove the engine by lifting the body off. While we don't have a lift, the car is stripped enough to be able to use an engine hoist on the bumper reinforcement mounts, or even using the front rotisserie unit. Once the underside and engine compartment are painted, I expect the engine to be mounted in less than an hour.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)