Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Tour 2015 pics

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Power Tour 2015 pics

Here is a link to my photobucket account with pictures from Power Tour 2015;http://s495.photobucket.com/user/50t...%20Tour%202015

We had a really good trip this year. I'd never travelled with other cars as a group so that presented its own challenges. One of the guys hit some railroad tracks the 1st day and had a front end vibration at anything over 60 mph afterwards, he tried keeping up but ended up going home after the St. Louis stop. My 'bird started running hot so anything over 70 mph on the interstate was really pushing it...we did run the actual power tour route so the slower speeds helped keep things cooler. On our last night in Birmingham my friend John's '74 Lincoln sprung a leak on one of the lines for the hydroboost. Of course no parts stores carry many parts for '74 Lincolns, so we ended up pulling the belt of the PS pump and he drove it all the way back to IN with no PS or Pwr brakes! The other car that went was a new Stingray so he obviously had nothing to worry about.

Overall my T-bird did well. I used about 1 1/2 quarts of oil over the whole trip and as I mentioned it did run a little warm but never overheated (gonna flush the radiator to see if that helps). As some of you remember I fought a driveline vibration for quite some time and seemed to remedy it mostly with an aluminum driveshaft. I noticed on this trip there is still a vibration 70 mph+...I'm going to check the pinion angle again to see if maybe its off. I also got a nasty door ding at one of the hotels, going to contact some body shops today to see about doing paintless dent repair on it.

I got a TON of comments on the car. One guy said "of all the thousands of cars in here, this is the only Fox T-bird I've seen. Love it man." Another guy in a 80's G-body Cutlass who was stopped along the road in some small town along the route ran over and said "beautiful car, very nice". This made me feel that maybe there are car people out there that like our cars as much as we do!
    '88 'bird, 1-family owned, original 302 converted to HO, T-5 swap, CHE upper/lower control arms, weld-in SFC's, BBK shorty headers & O/R H-pipe, Dynomax mufflers, fox GT tailpipes, Turbo Coupe 8.8 w/3.73's, 11" front brakes, lowered, Tokico Blue shocks/struts, Chuck W shock adapters and motor mounts, 15:1 rack & PS pump, custom alum. driveshaft, chrome '93 Cobra wheels, Falken tires, 20% tint, close to 190,000 miles!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I was wondering how it went. Nice that your Bird made the trip with no major issues. Hopefully your door ding comes out alright. Will have to check out the pics later.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Nice looking pics. I am sooooo jealous of you being able to make the trip. I hope to be there some year for the long haul. In the meantime I'll have to live vicariously through your pics.
    Sorry to hear about the door ding. I am so careful with mine I'm almost OCD about it. I hurts you when that happens. My wife got hit once on her 13. The first one it ever got. They were able to get all but the tiniest little ripple out of the car. So I do recommend the paintless dent repair. It worked for us. Good luck with it and thanks for sharing.

Go Fast the first time. The tickets the same.
    86 Thunderbird 5.0. All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
    86 Thunderbird TC. All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg # 58555
    87 Thunderbird TC. All original good weather daily driver. Tbird Reg # 64647
    88 Thunderbird TC. Mostly original my daily driver. Tbird Reg #52883 Sold

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Yeah, I'm OCD about door dings. But at Power Tour there are so many cars you have no choice but to park next to other cars. Most of the time its not a problem because other "car guys" are OCD too, lol. I parked next to a mini van at one of the hotels, I'm thinking that may have been the culprit.
    '88 'bird, 1-family owned, original 302 converted to HO, T-5 swap, CHE upper/lower control arms, weld-in SFC's, BBK shorty headers & O/R H-pipe, Dynomax mufflers, fox GT tailpipes, Turbo Coupe 8.8 w/3.73's, 11" front brakes, lowered, Tokico Blue shocks/struts, Chuck W shock adapters and motor mounts, 15:1 rack & PS pump, custom alum. driveshaft, chrome '93 Cobra wheels, Falken tires, 20% tint, close to 190,000 miles!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

If you have a clutched fan, check the clutch out too..

Nice pics!
    '84 Mustang, work in (sloooooooow) progress...
    '87 Stang notch
    1994 Ford F150 Flareside
    1997 Explorer V8 conversion (in progress)
    1998 Explorer 5.0
    and a couple of tractors. Ford, of course.
    FORD power, for life!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Has a brand new fan and clutch, replaced them with "police spec" ones a year or two ago.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

D'oh. I remember your thread now.

I'd do as you've suggested, flush the radiator and see what happens next
    '84 Mustang, work in (sloooooooow) progress...
    '87 Stang notch
    1994 Ford F150 Flareside
    1997 Explorer V8 conversion (in progress)
    1998 Explorer 5.0
    and a couple of tractors. Ford, of course.
    FORD power, for life!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I love good stories....the power must happen some year.

Thanks for the pics.

Travis
    86XR7 in pieces old time with 2.3T 12.96@103.1mph 1.709 60' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGsz7PdEqTI
    88TC basic mods...15 flat @92 on 13psi Redheaded Step child

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Cool pictures

If flushing the radiator doesn't work you can always upgrade to a nice aluminum unit.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

We did Power Tour also but took my 86 Capri....this was it's 3rd Long Haul: 2001, 2002, 2015. Tons of great scenery and cars, but I feel it's become "gm power tour" instead of Hot Rod. It got real old hearing about how great the generic-motors crap is/was and always will be shoved down your throat. Enough about that though.

Luckily for me, the Capri only sustained it's normal rock chips and bug splatter. LOL I too, surprisingly, got alot of compliments on it. Seemed the farther South we went the more it was appreciated. No mechanical issues for the Capri (ran cool the whole time, used no oil- I checked it on Wednesday and again after we got home- and even managed to average 26 mpg with a best of 29.6!!) but my buddies 70 Maverick managed to eat both rear shocks and Dad's 40 Ford Street Rod popped a hole in the aluminum radiator. Luckily both were fixed at nearby exits and we continued on without too much hassle.

It amazes me that I never saw your Bird on the trip, but then again there were so many cars I bet we really only saw about 1/4th of them!!! Heres a quick pic of the Capri at the beach in Gulfport, MS
    My toys:
    Two 84 Turbo Coupes-twins
    Two 86 Mercury Capri's-one's stock, one's NOT
    93 Mustang LX 5.0-3,980 miles, 100% factory
    55 Ford Customline-I6 powerhouse, waiting on a plan
    95 F350 Dually-KILLER, don't ask why
    94 Bronco XLT-going to be a lowered 2 wheel drive