Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 84 bird hop ups

Feedback Score

Default 84 bird hop ups

i have a bone stock 84 5.0 cfi bird. at 140 hp she isnt the best so sode anyone know what i can do to at least take her up to the mustang 170. any advice is helpful

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

First...WELCOME ..Im rather new to these cars as well but you may start with exhaust? Headers and less restrictive pipes. Others with more knowledge may chime in so far as actual performance mods( if any )... Good luck and post some pics of the Bird... We love pics here.
    87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter 3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates, Work In Progress....... ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Go to http://www.coolcats.net/ and read all you can, then come back with questions.
    '88 'bird, 1-family owned, original 302 converted to HO, T-5 swap, CHE upper/lower control arms, weld-in SFC's, BBK shorty headers & O/R H-pipe, Dynomax mufflers, fox GT tailpipes, Turbo Coupe 8.8 w/3.73's, 11" front brakes, lowered, Tokico Blue shocks/struts, Chuck W shock adapters and motor mounts, 15:1 rack & PS pump, custom alum. driveshaft, chrome '93 Cobra wheels, Falken tires, 20% tint, close to 190,000 miles!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

To make any real power the car will need either a carburetor conversion or a conversion to SEFI. CFI is kind of a dud and there are no performance parts that will work well with that system.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

My '83 had a 5.0 and CFI and I can tell you from experience the headers and full 2-1/4" dual exhaust helped that car immensely. If you have plans for a 302 over the 250 hp mark I would just bite the bullet and install a 2-1/2" exhaust and skip the 2-1/4". Do a search on here as this topic has been well documented. As for either SEFI or carb either would be a huge improvement over the CFI. My suggestion would be to find another motor and start from there and if you are willing to do this find an Explorer motor. Do a search on that as well as it too has been well documented.

Darren

Feedback Score

thank yall very much i have a friend with a 87 cougar 5.0 that has motor wire harness and computer how hard will it be to do that swap also dose anyone know why the mustang same motor as my bird has more power
    Last edited by kitt2008; 04-23-2015 at 10:00 PM.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Although the 5.0 SEFI is lots better than the CFI 5.0 (I've had both) if I were going through the trouble of a swap I'd go with something more powerful than another SO 5.0. If that is the course you take though, it shouldn't be very difficult if you have everything from the other car.

The Mustang engine has better heads and cam, hence the higher power. You can read more about the differences here...http://www.coolcats.net/modifying/ho_transplant.html
    1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
    2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
    2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

An Explorer 5.0 with a HO (or better) cam swap is better still and not really any more expensive. Just be sure to get a mustang harness and computer (research speed density vs Mass AirFlow to decide which computer). If you do ANY HO/GT40 swap, you're going to need headers (either Mustang factory headers or better) and a full H-Pipe/X-pipe exhaust at 2 1/4" minimum.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0
    GT40P, TFS-1, KB domes, 30#, MAF conversion, Explorer GT40 Upper/Lower, Smog delete, Wide Ratio AOD Mod, Unlocked Speedo, 3G Charging System Upgrade, Hi-Torque Mini Starter, 3.73 LSD, BBK 1 5/8 unequal headers, H-Pipe.

88 Thunderbird/Cougar EVTM
    (Thanks to Trinom for hosting)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I was going to ask if using an '87 Bird 5.0 harness would be of any benefit as the 83/84 cars body harness did not really intertwine with the EEC harness like the 87/88 stuff does. I would even go as far as to suggest a Painless harness as it is completely stand alone.

Darren

Feedback Score

ok what all bolt on do yall recomend other than a sefi swap