Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tail lamp fuse

Feedback Score

Default Tail lamp fuse

I noticed I don't have tail lamps when I turn my marker lamps on. I pulled the fuse and it was blown. So I put another 10 amp fuse in and it popped as soon as I hit the light the marker lights. My best guess is would it be a short to ground? Can anyone give ideas what it may be? Thanks for the help.
    1988 Mercury cougar XR7- 302 bored .030 over, gt40p heads, F303, AlexsParts spring and seal kit, explorer upper and lower intake, 70mm tb, maf conversion, 75mm maf, fenderwell cai, 24 lb injectors, T5 conversion, bbk h pipe, Slp lm, 3.73 rear, 4 wheel disc conversion, 5 lug conversion.

Feedback Score

If you've been working under the dash, you might have pinched a wire. I know one time I dropped the steering column in my mustang and pinched one of the lighting wires in the bracket when I put it back up. Shorted, smoked, scared me to death, thought my car was on fire, etc. Good times.
    CoogarXR

1986 LTD Wagon
    1985 Cougar XR-7

Feedback Score

That could be exactly what happened. I was messing under the dash alot. I'll have to follow the wires. Thanks CoogerXR
    1988 Mercury cougar XR7- 302 bored .030 over, gt40p heads, F303, AlexsParts spring and seal kit, explorer upper and lower intake, 70mm tb, maf conversion, 75mm maf, fenderwell cai, 24 lb injectors, T5 conversion, bbk h pipe, Slp lm, 3.73 rear, 4 wheel disc conversion, 5 lug conversion.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Follow brown wires
    '85 Thunderbird TC '86 Thunderbird TC '97 Scorpio 2.3 GHIA

T-Bird / Cougar DIY stuff

Feedback Score

Brown. Got it. Thanks Trinom

Feedback Score

image.jpg
    So while using this schematic as a guide, I turn on my parking lights, and I have them up front, along with marker lights. The tail lights however are alll out. When I put a new fuse in and it blows as soon as it turns on, it tells me that it is short to ground on the brown wire. But because only the tail lights don't work, does that mean that the short is between the fuse and the tail lights? Or could the short be between the fuse and the light switch? I thought if it was the latter, then no lights would work. Am I correct?

Feedback Score

Yes, the short is below fuse 15 in the diagram.
    That also includes the lamp-out warning module as well as the bulbs.

Feedback Score

Oh alright. That is great info. I was unaware of that since it doesn't appear that way on the diagram.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Also check the light blue w/ red stripe wires under the dash and behind the radio. These are the dash illum + wires. They show ground when the lights are turned off causing them to be used as ground when hooking up accessories like gauges or radios. I install car audio and see this mistake quite often. This will also cause the tail lamp fuse to blow in most cases.

Feedback Score

Here's a random thought....some guys at work said it could be my tailights bulbs themselves? That they may be grounded through the bulb? And if I bulb shorted, that could be blowing the fuse. Is this myth? Or could this be possible?