Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: talk to me about UPS' (uninterrupted power supply)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default talk to me about UPS' (uninterrupted power supply)

For the second time in 3 months, yesterday my went out, causing my hard drive to have a boot error. No POST, nothing, justa black screen that says "Press CTRL + ALT+ DEL to restart."

And even that doesn't do anything.

It did it once before, and I replaced the primary drive. My electric co-op has said they are aware of an issue with a transformer in the area, but they don't have the resources to find which one until it goes off line and they replace it.

They also won't replace my damaged drive(s), so..I need something to keep it from doin hard shut downs.

School me..I'm in a pickle. Lots of data loss on the first one, this one I was keeping my shit on a portable drive, but even those aren't immune,

Thanks guys.
    '87 Mustang notch; 5 lug, PBR calipers, 3.55 gears, SFC's, mild 5.0 with '40P's, Cobra intake, E cam, BBK headers and X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust.
    "still slower than your grandma's scooter"..

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

A ups is just designed to shut the computer down after power is lost. Capacity really isn't a big deal. Generally you would only plug your tower into it, not your monitor, but i haven't had a computer since a flat screen cost over a grand.

Most ups are no matinance and require you to do nothing unless the power goes out when the computer is in use. Newer ones should be capable of automatic shut downs, similar to laptops when the battery is running low.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Sweet! I'm actually posting this from the desktop, but I had one hell of a time getting to this point.

I'm probably going to keep the comp off unless I'm actually using it. On the plus side, it might just cut the electric bill down, LOL.
    '87 Mustang notch; 5 lug, PBR calipers, 3.55 gears, SFC's, mild 5.0 with '40P's, Cobra intake, E cam, BBK headers and X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Buy a cheap little laptop with weefee. Use that as your main rig. You can bring it to ya in the work shop or think tank(toilet). Seems to be where i always come up with dumb ideas and need Google anyways...
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I've got an HP latop that was perfectly reliable, it just didn't like hitting concrete (thanks, Nicole!)...twice.

I put a new display in it the first time...the second time it busted the area where the hinges mount...so unless you tape it to something, it won't stay upright. Having to tape it to shit to use it kinda defeats the purpose. I had a bare case for the thing all but bought the guy never returned my calls.

So far, my desktop has been solid...but that fear is there, ya know..

The last time, Nicole (wife) lost a bunch of photos. Thankfully, she's made discs of the pics and had hard copies. She does school pics and weddings, etc for people. More a hobby than anything, she's not a pro, but she does do a really nice job. She ought to, much as I've spent on equipment.

I don't bitch though...she doesn't complain too much about my Mustangs. Other than she thinks it's a rattletrap and I'm gonna get killed in it. Told her I'd buy life insurance, and I don't want flowers.

That was 3 weeks ago...still enjoying the peace as she isn't speaking to me...hmmm...did I say something wrong to her?

(kidding...I'm not that heartless. I told her if she wanted, she could put flowers on my box)

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    Buy a cheap little laptop with weefee. Use that as your main rig. You can bring it to ya in the work shop or think tank(toilet). Seems to be where i always come up with dumb ideas and need Google anyways...
    I like to call that "multi-tasking".

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have never had more stupid-assed little problems with a computer as I have with this one...even with an old Win ME OS PC back in 2000. And that POS was a THE POS of the decade.

I ran some updates earlier...Micro$uck updates....and then, when it rebooted, it wouldn't load past the POST screen. Finally acted on a hunch, unplugged all of my drives BUT the C drive, and it boots up fine. Ran another update, then one by one started reconnecting the other 4 drives, with a restart between every one, all is working normally now, but damned if this thing doesn't infuriate me.

I'm fairly tempted to put my Stang on hold and simply build myself a system...a full tower case, plenty of fans, room for drives, room to grow.

I've got a name for this system...I call it Yugo. Because half the shit doesn't work sometimes, and you have to take both internal drives OUT, unhook the two externals...blah blah fuckity blah. Be the last HP desktop I'll ever buy.

I'm fairly savvy...all the upgrade parts I've put in are compatible...it's just something with Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit and multiple hard disk drives that about once ever 6 months or so...makes my life a f*ckin' 3 day, max stress event.

Anyway, rant over, I'm drained...going to bed. Got a busy day tomorrow to locate some parts and get boxed and ready to go...as well as some stuff comin' in.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

I had 2 win 8.1 fail the way you described, after updates. So far never had a problem with 7-64. I did have problems with the I tune update on 7. Had to use a backup afterwards to boot. Never tried to update it again.
    Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat,5.0 HO, CW mounts,mass air,CI custom cam,afr165's,Tmoss worked cobra intake,BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch,8.8 373 TC trac loc,che ajustables with bullits on the rear.11" brakes up front. +

Feedback Score

When I get a new pc, I install all the software that I need, do all the updates, all the time consuming stuff, and then do a drive image. That way when the OS drive dies, I just restore the drive image and it's good as new.

I keep all my docs/pics/etc on a separate drive, and I back that drive up to another in my safe every so often. With all my crap on the second drive, I'm not in danger of losing anything if the OS drive fails. Even If the second drive takes a crap, I restore from the backup drive in my safe.

I have been in the IT field for almost 20 years professionally. I have lived through more hardware failures than the average cat. Plan for it, because it WILL happen. You can never have too many backups.
    CoogarXR

1986 LTD Wagon
    1985 Cougar XR-7

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I like the above post.