Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: 87 "coug" resto winter project

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

this one is marked F8....xxx pn.
    i think its the explorer fuel rail.

fuel rail has built in shrader valve fp test port.

the feeder lines do not have a shrader fuel pres test valve.

has a 2 bolt regulator

lines come in from driver side,, seems like a rather hard fitment.
    I like the idea if fuel feeds coming in from the rear though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jcassity; 02-25-2018 at 11:35 AM.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

no markings on this anywhere,

has a 3 bolt regulator which is compatible with the CFI 3.8 or 5.0L which all oem were
    adjustable by allen wrench, aftermarket were not.

no shrader valve fp test port

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

this one seems stock, marked as F4xxx

has two bolt fp reg.

has shrader fp test valve

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

here are a couple CFI FPR which are 3 bolt and adjustable, fit the 3 bolt rails but do not need vac presure.

I seem to think that i would "want" an adjustable FPR,, right?

so, which fuel rail do i go with,,,,?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I like the idea of an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, but I probably wouldnt use one.

The vacuum is essentially an built in adjustable regulator. When you are on the gas, you lose vacuum, it automatically adjust fuel pressure to suit. The computer knows what it needs. You start messing with the fuel pressure,bit no longer does.

The computer can only compensate for about 10% difference from the oem tune. That's part of the reason I hate the 10% ethonal garbage we have here. It makes up a whole 7% leaving you for just 3% or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The pic in post 371 looks like a truck fuel rail, hence why the connections are at the back driver's side...

The pic in 372 will work assuming you have stock fuel line location in the car...

The one in 373 looks as if it would work with a little tweaking of the angles of the fuel lines, as well, though I've never seen one exactly like that.

I've heard of folks using the truck 5.0 rail in a TC, as the 2.3 cars have their fuel lines running up on the firewall, nearest the driver's side, IIRC..
    '84 Mustang, work in (sloooooooow) progress...
    '87 Stang notch
    1994 Ford F150 Flareside
    1997 Explorer V8 conversion (in progress)
    1998 Explorer 5.0
    and a couple of tractors. Ford, of course.
    FORD power, for life!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    I like the idea of an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, but I probably wouldnt use one.

The vacuum is essentially an built in adjustable regulator. When you are on the gas, you lose vacuum, it automatically adjust fuel pressure to suit. The computer knows what it needs. You start messing with the fuel pressure,bit no longer does.

The computer can only compensate for about 10% difference from the oem tune. That's part of the reason I hate the 10% ethonal garbage we have here. It makes up a whole 7% leaving you for just 3% or so.

A lot of the adjustable regulator's need would determine what pump you have, look at Vinnie's setup....if uses that big FP he's talking about, he's going to need an adjustable if he doesn't have one on already...

I don't think a SD EEC compensates for a whole low in regards to fuel pressure. It merely can be tricked into cycling the injectors for a certain duration. Would require flashing the chip though.

Mass air EEC though is a different ballgame, and Scott had ought to be on that path, with a stroked engine...

Basically, I had a SD HO in my 'Sport with a 255 Walbro pump, ran like a scalded cat and didn't need a afpr. Never tuned on it, so I'm not going to say it would've ran better with a little less or more...who can say.
    '84 Mustang, work in (sloooooooow) progress...
    '87 Stang notch
    1994 Ford F150 Flareside
    1997 Explorer V8 conversion (in progress)
    1998 Explorer 5.0
    and a couple of tractors. Ford, of course.
    FORD power, for life!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

yes, going mass aiir,

the one in 373 is a go now,, and its marked with all the ford pn's and such, like its a stock thing
    Last edited by jcassity; 02-25-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I decided to go with this fuel rail.

and,, did you all know............................................
    **inside the vac acuated fuel presure regulator there is a screen on the large opening? A filter so to speak,,

swapping over the blue top injectors now.

hope i dont screw myself by going with a two bolt FPR, this one will require vacuum like normal but i really wanted to be able to recycle the CFI FPR's if you all thought it would be useful. these FPR's for early CFI applications are pertty cheap to buy at the box stores.
    I took one a part one day for the heck of it, to see how it worked and if i could recycle one into a hydraulic ram valve we have down in the creek,, i noticed it also has a filter.
    thats when i was telling people to just shit can thier injector screens, the fuel is getting filtered three times,, once at the tank sock, once at the fuel filter then once again a the FPR.

the fuel pump i have is walboro,, i need to look it up but 175lph sounds about right,, maybe 200, not that this car needs that.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

apparently cfi V6fuel lines are much much longer than 5.0's. I am trying to follow the same fuel line path as the 5.0, 3.8L came in behind the pass strut tower.
    i tried to keep that and it simply looked like crap.

i have plenty of hose to reach the fuel rail extentions by following the 5.0 path., but not without some customiztion.