Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 87 "coug" resto winter project

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Can't do the five speed because I got that nice AOD

Were thinking about getting rid of the K frame for a tubular but we need to find the right price point

Grand Island, New York (between Buffalo, Niagara Falls and Ontario, Canada)
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I love a good restoration project
    ***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****

5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner mufflers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
    Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed.
    Join us on Facebook

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

A couple engine opinions:

Since you have a 331 I would use the Professional Products (Edelbrock Performer RPM knock off) intake manifold. You want a shorter runner intake as with more displacement you don't need as long of intake runners to keep the low rpm torque up. Also what cam choices do you have? If you could post up the specs we could help you make a decision.

Good luck with your project. Sounds like fun
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score

Most of the sandblasting on this side is done. You can tell where I still need to touch it up, but for the most part it's working good.

I'm glad we went with the sandblaster instead of a wire brush lol

We're using a rust prevention/neutralizer by locktite. Any opinions or warnings on that particular product??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

Got a coat of primer on.

Feedback Score

thunderjet302 > Still deciding on which intake to put on there. I'm young so looks plays a role in my decision lol

We have 3 HO cams to choose from. Can anyone help to decipher the codes on them later on to determine which is gonna be best for the engine?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Post up pictures of the cams.

Don't waste time on the pump. Go with a 255. It's a return style system so...

You're going with a built AOD so you'll be fine. It's amazing the difference between my AOD and a stocker in terms of feel and performance. I should imagine you'll understand that soon enough.

Do you have the flow #'s for those heads? I would imagine they're going to flow a good deal better than a set of stock E7's. 19 pound injectors at the stock pressure setting may not be enough.

Keep us updated!
    -- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !! -- 87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's! http://www.fquick.com/V8Demon

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I am sure the stock 19's are not going to flow enough,, I speculate we are on the cuff of 3 or so psi per injector to be at the bare minimum. I am considering trying out a set of 21LB to see if the eec can manage them to offset the leanness and an appropriate o2 sensor, the o2 sensor is bugging me pretty early in our project because I know we may need a special application wide band.
    An adjustable FPR will take up some of this slack needed along with a better than stock fuel pump. At the end of the day I am also speculating chance here will have to be mass air much sooner than we think. I am also wanting this car to be affordable to drive,,, so there needs to be some compromise for the wallets sake.

My older son mason is running fine with his SD 19's but is not stroked, only poked & ho swapped with exploder top end.

speaking to cams, I have the original shipping boxes, I can ask the sellers what cars they "know" or "think" they came from. I have never been able to cypher cam numbers to tell me exactly what application they came from,, perhaps you did a table on this... for all I know I may have a link to it in my diy thread.

I tend to collect parts up for future projects and complement them with spare options, with cams, I think I dropped the ball tracking the application. all the other stuff I can look at and know or reference our data to cypher. Sometimes but rarely I have a so called "option" on my table like an EEC that has arrived and suppose to be an HO but turns out not to be nothing more than a SD SO , live and learn...

either way,, engine stuff is not for a few weeks out but we don't want to be stabbing the engine bay on guesswork either.

as for the heads and their flow,, I can ask the seller if there any machine work results on this. they will flow well better than any of the GT's I am certain.

Chance is really liking the black you have V8demon and he is amazed at project evolution, I told him to go read up on almost 200 pages of hard work evolution can teach him and I.
    Since black may be our color , its going to be a game changer on how we prep and paint... I was hoping he would stay white although all it would take is a few more small things done in prep work / demo then color will no longer matter.
    Last edited by jcassity; 12-01-2014 at 09:19 AM.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

With a 331 I would defiantly use the Typhoon intake, even with a stock HO cam. I would also do a MAF conversion if you could as well.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score

These are the cam shaft numbers. The filename for two of them has the number as well as who it came from, and the third I had no idea about.

Good luck haha!