Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: 87 "coug" resto winter project

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

this center console is taking more time than i like but mostly because i am solving the little things now instead of later.

later on i want to just bolt in the console with little or no trouble,, and headach

we chose a center console that originally was in a car with column shift.
    that being said, there are minor differences,, and even more when grafting into a car with a center section dash never intended to accept a center console.

first up i work hard to level up the shift indiator. While i am at it, i repaint the indicator to a bright orange....
    by the way , careful taking the shift indiator itself apart, or else you will release the deck of cards in there!

i figure this look will be my final result after some very minor shim work and some addtional foam froming sealer.
    heres a complete view from the top and the bottom.

there are still issues with the looks because my console "Sags" down up under the ash tray area. I will solve that in later pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

i have no support up front for this new console, the metal support needed flipped around and adjusted almost to max but it really serves no real supporting at all.
    I have plans to make this area rigid because of an idea i have which will come later.

so with useless forks up front which i will not use, i need to fab up a way to integrate this center console to this non-center console dash and make it match up.

im gonna put me an orange dot on the two forks that slide up each side of my dash and work in an idea.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Ill cut me a slot on each side through each dot i made earlier.
    find me a coupe plastic bolts and chop off the head.
    graft in some tie wire, pig tail it so it does not drop out.
    repeat for the other side.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

now lets set it up in the car again.
    you see where i located the orange dots from earlier, the tie wire now has reach to use a screw on each side of the ash tray holder as a support reference point.
    one twist in the correct direction and its in.

this was the final look i was wanting.
    now i have somewhat dependable supporting on each side and somewhat of a support in the middle.

now i can roll the transmission under the car and get it spotted.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

rolled the transmission in and mounted it.
    Shfter cable connected at both ends and complete.
    slapped the shifter t handle and stuff back on and it feels a tad bit hard to shift. Its reluctant to follow the shifter detends well enough for my liking.
    Example, you go to OD position and it doesnt click in place on the shifter unless you jiggle the shifter a tad then it "clicks"
    I think this has more to do with the shifter and the trans shift lever being just a smidge out of sync ... dono, will revisit that later.
    well, plus theres no lubrication on the shifter linkage at this time.,, that is prob part of the problem having an empty transmission.

i really couldnt tell if the shift cable is supposed to go "under" the trans cross member or over top. I should have looked at the shop manual but did not.
    I noticed the cable flowed well enough by running it over top the cross member. this makes better sense to me being my exaush will be under.

gotta pull out the speed sensor though, just noticed the bolt is loose and not sure why, better check that.

next up the motor goes in.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I have all the stuff to do the floor shifter conversion. Lazy ass me does not want to drop the transmission to do it, when the column shifter works fine

Kudos to you for doing it.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

yeah,, gotta still get that stuff out on the column, at least most of it.

just checked out the speed sensor,, WTF! the gear wouldnt turn, took it apart and the shaft was bent. I dono.. this is the second worrysome thing about this trans ,,,, i hope like hell its just minor stuff and it will work fine.

putting in the motor now but taking off the bumper / header and bumper guard.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

had to chase the threads out in my torque converter.
    of all my hardware i only had one 3/8'' 24thread bolt! i had to go buy hardware!

put my flywheel on and noticed something i havent noticed before.
    one of the crank mounting bolt holes has a notch in it.
    we know the flywheel only goes on one way but interestingly enough that notch is perfectly in pointing in the same location as the timing pointer at TDC.
    SO i'm asking,, was this an assembly line thing where if the assembler noticed the flywheel indicator notch was off, it told him to dial in tdc?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

here's the transmission input shaft, cant remember which one is better than the other ect... chime in if you know.