Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: 87 "coug" resto winter project

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

see, once i orient the shifter indicator to the template, then the template to the metal bottom plate, this confirmed that the two forward most "thumb" sized detents in the transmission tunnel were infact the correct location to install transmission tunnel adjustable clips.

again, all you need to know is where to place the two front clilps and the rest just falls into place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

here are the forward most transmissioin tunnel detents i spoke of that match up perfectly to where you install two front tunnel mounting clips.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

again, the only purpuse the upper and lower part of the plus sign serve is to give you the ablity to insert tunnel mounting clips.
    i have a plan that i was going to do to reduce the actual hole size need then it occured to me that my idea is not compatible with a 5speed upgrade if chance wants to do that later... so i stay with the oem plan and begin cutting now.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Looks great Scott! Glad the instructions worked.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

they did, posting up the hole i cut in a few.
    when the slotted holes are made for the clips, only make the hole just large enough for the bolt only.
    i believe in the photo you have in your site, the slotted holes are awfully big and the clip may not grab correctly.

i am going to determine later if i want to re-enforce the tunnel or not. its not all that strong of metal to be honest.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

completed pics of the opening and with clips.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

as i was putting the shifter back together, the backing (lower most plate) is held on with two rivits.
    i decided that i might want to leave out the rear most rivit allowing me an easy way to increase the angle of how the shifter sits by putting shims in between this area.

when its bolted down , they aint going anywhere.

see pic

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

i have the correct center dash trim for a center console shifter car.. which i really need to pull down and put in before i call it good.

so,, apparently my wanting to keep the "tray" is out of the question.
    this setup allows the shifter to sit pretty much flush to its cover.

add a tad bit of shim to the area on the previous picture and it should level out nicely.

i spoke to this earlier but i think you can see now that you can move the shifter "back" to the area where the ash tray is.
    the shifter fits nice and snug in that area and the shifter handle is shown now in D.

i would'nt think it would obstruct access to power windows/seats and such but oh well, chance doesnt want that.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

dang it,,
    i forgot to reinstall my heat matting, now i gotta mess with all that stuff again!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

finally figured out how that dash mounted ash tray comes out..... man is that a beyoch to remove.

I need a blank cig lighter panel to go in that spot, i dont think i have one and i think they were farily common on 83-85 cars.

i have a system sentry modules but dont have the hear to just plop it in the opening knowing the car is not wired for those options.

what i want is to maybe make up a piece of plex blacked out, add a lighter to the left, then that leaves room for chance to add USB ports , mic port and perhaps i could even stuff in that hole a 200w inverter.,,, you know,, make use of the opening for various power uses.

this area was going to be the drink holder section if i were able to move the shifter back.,,, then it would have been perfect using the taurus holder.

i do like the drink holder in the outback though posted in the lounge....
    http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/...ver-cup-holder