Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finished my clutch pedal mod...

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

Default Finished my clutch pedal mod...

For me, I have always disliked how close the clutch and brake pedals are. I'm always tapping the edge of the brake pedal when I push the clutch or my feet rub if I am using both pedals, so, I thought about it for a few days and came up with an idea. I bought some small square tubing, and did some cutting and shaping and made a spacer. I then took a second clutch pedestal lever, and cut off what I needed. I removed the clutch pedal lever from the Sport, and went to work. I first drilled the holes I needed through the spacer, and the two clutch pedal levers that all lined up, and kept the actual pedal of the lever at the same height. Once I had the fit right, I removed the lower part of the Sport's clutch lever, and bolted on the "new" clutch pedal section and spacer. It moved the clutch pedal to the left a little over an inch which actually made a on of difference, and the work I did is all painted black, and hidden by the dash, although if it showed, it wouldn't be noticed. Now that I am happy with the assembly, it will all be tack welded together, although I'm sure the fasteners I used would hold just fine. Pics coming later.
    '88 Sport--T-5,HURST shifter,TMoss GT-40 intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,70mm t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster 40's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels,Mass Air, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

I don't have a problem with the clutch pedal, it's the brake and gas. With my boots on it gets stuck under the brake pedal. Thank god for 2 feet.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Kitz Kat View Post
    I don't have a problem with the clutch pedal, it's the brake and gas. With my boots on it gets stuck under the brake pedal. Thank god for 2 feet.
    Not to thread-jack, but I have this problem too!
    CoogarXR

1986 LTD Wagon
    1985 Cougar XR-7

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I have three letters for you: AOD
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thunderjet302 View Post
    I have three letters for you: AOD
    When my car was AOD I still couldn't stand to drive it wearing boots. The damn pedals are way too close together. One of the only real complaints I've ever had about my 'bird.
    '88 'bird, 1-family owned, original 302 converted to HO, T-5 swap, CHE upper/lower control arms, weld-in SFC's, BBK shorty headers & O/R H-pipe, Dynomax mufflers, fox GT tailpipes, Turbo Coupe 8.8 w/3.73's, 11" front brakes, lowered, Tokico Blue shocks/struts, Chuck W shock adapters and motor mounts, 15:1 rack & PS pump, custom alum. driveshaft, chrome '93 Cobra wheels, Falken tires, 20% tint, close to 190,000 miles!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I agree the gas and brake are way too close. i seriously though about modifying mine when i did my t-5 swap, but time was an issue then. i ocassionally get my steel toes stuck under the break, but i wear a 15 wide...
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

How tall/big are you/ your feet that you keep hitting both pedals? Or what boots are you guys buying? I'm 5'9", 150, with a size 9.5 shoe and I can touch one pedal without hitting the other one. Of course I always were shoes when I drive.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

6' 190 size 10.5 shoe. I actually have yet to find another car where my feet are so comfortable. I can go back & forth between the gas and brake in traffic easily. The pedals are the right height from the floor as well. I notice that my S197 pedal height does a number on my ankles on a long journey.
    -- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !! -- 87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's! http://www.fquick.com/V8Demon

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

It would be easy to move the brake pedal as i did the clutch. If it's an AOD car, only one pedal to move. 5 speed, gotta do them both. I have had no issues yet. I just got my new clutch and brake pedal pads as well. I ordered them from 5.0resto...they have "5.0" on each one. Now to get the 5 speed Mustang gas pedal in. I've had it for 5 years on the shelf.
    '88 Sport--T-5,HURST shifter,TMoss GT-40 intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,70mm t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster 40's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels,Mass Air, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thunderjet302 View Post
    How tall/big are you/ your feet that you keep hitting both pedals? Or what boots are you guys buying? I'm 5'9", 150, with a size 9.5 shoe and I can touch one pedal without hitting the other one. Of course I always were shoes when I drive.
    lol...I'm only 6' 4" 215 lbs and wear a little ole size 14. I guess that could be part of my problem, huh? Tennis shoes are fine, but boots are really dangerous for me to wear and drive the 'bird.
    '88 'bird, 1-family owned, original 302 converted to HO, T-5 swap, CHE upper/lower control arms, weld-in SFC's, BBK shorty headers & O/R H-pipe, Dynomax mufflers, fox GT tailpipes, Turbo Coupe 8.8 w/3.73's, 11" front brakes, lowered, Tokico Blue shocks/struts, Chuck W shock adapters and motor mounts, 15:1 rack & PS pump, custom alum. driveshaft, chrome '93 Cobra wheels, Falken tires, 20% tint, close to 190,000 miles!