Thread: EECIV computer repair successful!

Feedback Score

Default EECIV computer repair successful!

I just saved myself $130 by repairing the fried EEC DA1 and A9L computers. As I refered to them in my convertible A9L vs regular A9L post, both of these EECs had an open condition on the circuit board for pin 36, the SPOUT output signal which I would assume controls ignition advance. I just soldered in some wire to bypass the break in the circuit board, put the DA1 in my T-bird, and was able to run a KOEO test. I started it up and it seemed to run just as smooth as it had on the SSP's DA1. I put 75 miles on it today, and my impression is that it is completely fixed. The lean spots were more noticeable with this EEC, but I chalk that up to the computer not learning any correction factors yet. The rest of the day was spent preparing for the mass air conversion. Tomorrow I'll find out if the A9L is also up to par.

Joe

Bird351 Guest

Default Re: EECIV computer repair successful!

You know what else is a possible solution for fixing some broken circuits? The same stuff you use to repair a rear defroster. Yeah, it generates heat from resistance.. but it conducts electricity. I remember some people using that stuff to unlock their CPUs for overclocking on PCs, when they needed something cheap and simple to jump a circuit break.

Feedback Score

LOL! That's actually the first method I used to repair the DA1. Once I put it in the Stang and it successfully ran a self test, I decided that I should upgrade to a more permanent, trouble-free fix, so I went with wire and solder. I too was worried about the heat build up from resistance. Defroster repair gunK: 1.8 ohms; wire and solder: 0.6 ohms.

I have an AMD 1800+ that I used the defroster repair stuff on in a vain attempt to unlock its multipliers..... never worked unfortunatly. Heh, doesn't matter, it was just a crappy Palmino core anyway.

Joe
    Last edited by joefriday; 06-29-2005 at 11:32 PM.

Bird351 Guest

Works for some, doesn't for others. Hell, I think I tried a thick line of graphite from a pencil for my own failed attempt.

Good to see other people of the mindset. Make it work if ya can, fuggit if ya can't, and try some crazy shit in the process if it doesn't cost much. If it works, you're a friggin' genius and a guru and all that shit.. and if it doesn't, hey, you're only out a few bucks and a few hours.. right?

Seriously, good luck with that repair. I've gotta work on my soldering skills (I have REALLY shaky hands) and do some shit like that one of these days.

Feedback Score

Way to go Joe, glad its OK. Curious though, wonder what burned it in the first place...

After spending 38+ years repairing connections in 1000s of TVs, I consider solder as the ONLY fix for broken/burned circuit boards.

- SOLD ----------- SOLD ------------ SOLD --------- PARTED(rip) --- Yeah It's Got A V8 .
    .................................................. .....................................(Just Not Presently)