Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Having some real bad luck, help.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Having some real bad luck, help.

Ok so I was replacing the Orings on my injectors since one of them was leaking right
    Got them all on the car and I took off the distributor cap to move the spark plug wires out of the way, I seen that it needed to be replaced since the center contact inside the cap was damaged.
    I put on a good one I had laying around, got everything buttoned up and started the car
    It obviously wasn't running right and was misfiring
    I finally came up with the conclusion that the rotor in the dist must have been shorter than what was needed for the new cap that I put on. I put on a different rotor and it finally started up fine and sounded like all cylinders were firing correctly but now my car has a very loud knock from what I think is the head/valvetrain
    Could some really have been damaged from the misfiring that happened?
    I just had to step away so I could calm down, anybody ever had anything like this happen?
    Really hoping it isn't something serious but I'm kind of doubting that
    1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring, K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
    Running Better Than Ever

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

well crap!

that chunk of crap "the button" went somewhere.

get your rotor button off
    get the round fin thingy off that passes through the pick up module down in the dizzy,, mark it so you you dont put it on wrong cause i think you can.
    see if you got garbage down on the magetic pick up.

other than thay.. id say its spark related... its gotta be,, and im just reaching here.

all you did was change out the cap and button.

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

Is it possible you have two wires in the wrong firing order?
    '88 Sport--T-5,HURST shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I will see if there is anything in dizzy, as of right now it sounds like all cylinders are firing and it runs fine except for that knock
    I'm still not driving it around because the knock is too loud for me to think my engine is just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnietbird View Post
    Is it possible you have two wires in the wrong firing order?
    Thats what i thought was wrong as well at first but i checked and the order was correct.
    After I swapped the rotor to match the new used cap it ran just fine minus the knock...

heres a vid
    http://youtu.be/XOgrfc-4-Ss
    1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring, K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
    Running Better Than Ever

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

well, then id say your spark plug wires need looked at,,, you may have sparated the metal clip from the conductor in the plug wire,, making spark delivery difficult or not at all.

lack of spark on a cylinder will generate a knocking noise

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

When it's running pull each plug wire off one at a time. The knock may go away or diminish a bit, you may find what cylinder is the issue. Possible could anything fell in the injector hole and is hitting on top of the piston against the head?

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

I've been doing that for years, never fried a tfi or anything. I'm sure you know. I didn't see the video till now either Does sound like top end.
    Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat,5.0 HO, CW mounts,mass air,CI custom cam,afr165's,Tmoss worked cobra intake,BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch,8.8 373 TC trac loc,che ajustables with bullits on the rear.11" brakes up front. +

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TOM Renzo View Post
    WRONG WAY TO DO IT. Just because something is dun does not mean it is correctly dun!! Not to mention it could be dangerous for the guy performing thisjust saying. There is right ways and wrong ways to do things.

If you like i can take a current graph from my scope open circuiting Secondary side wiring!!
    No need.
    Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat,5.0 HO, CW mounts,mass air,CI custom cam,afr165's,Tmoss worked cobra intake,BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch,8.8 373 TC trac loc,che ajustables with bullits on the rear.11" brakes up front. +

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Wow I am stumped
    I found out that cylinder #4 is not firing
    I tested the spark plugs, wires, injectors, everything and it all checks out good
    All injectors are getting voltage and working properly
    Compression #'s : 137 , 140, 110 , 133 firing order: 1,3,4,2
    But these pressure numbers were very similar to my previous compression test so I don't think this has anything to do with the prob

The only thing that comes to mind is a mechanical problem

I just don't know how this problem came up from me not even driving the car, my car has been in the driveway the whole time
    Running Better Than Ever

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Hows the timing belt? Might it have slipped a tooth? Also check the distributor for play or shaft waller. And also they have a tendency to chew drive gears. Might be somthing totally stupid just ideas
    87 LX 302, E7's, ARP bolts, Mallory Unilite Distributor, MSD 6A, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Flowtech Long tubes, 5Speed, 8.8w/4.10's, Granatelli Tube K-Member & LCA's, Coil Overs, KYB 4ways, CHE arms, 3" rear drop springs, BBK C/C Plates, SN-95 5-lug stuff, Fuel Cell, Battery Relocation, Mac Mufflers, Stinger Tails, Sunpro gauges, Custom Lip Spoiler