Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! 7.5" Axle to 8.8" Trouble!

Feedback Score

Default Re: Help! 7.5" Axle to 8.8" Trouble!

Do you think the stock Mustang axles would work with the T-bird/Cougar drum brakes? If not I bit the stock Mustang brakes would work just fine.

TED

Feedback Score

I have used a mustang 8.8 with the cougar 10" drum bakes with out any problems. I have just done this in May.

As it has been said, the mustang rear and axles (3/4" shorter per side) than the cougar/t-bird rear & axles. I don't have any dimensions at the current time to compare the turbo coupe rear to the mustang rear.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bondocougar
    JeremyB: I noticed the dimensional chart you had in the earlier post is all for drum brake vehicles. Do you also have a copy of the dimensional chart for the 8.8" and 7.5" Disk Brake configuration?
    No. The disc version doesn't change any signification dimensions though.

I thought we'd gone through most of this discussion here. I'm more knowledgeable now than when I started the thread. ALL Fox/SN95(up to 1998) Mustangs, Mark VIIs, and 1983-85.5 Tbird/Cougars use the same width housing. The bastard of the bunch is the 1985.5-87 Tbird/Cougar, whose flange-flange width is 1.5" wider. The only thing that confuses me is that the drum offset is different between the earlier and later Tbird axles. One would think that wider axles + wider housing = same drum, but it doesn't.

The earlier axles have a bit of an offset.-----------The later drums have almost no offset.
    -----

This suggests that the housing flange-to-axle flange dimension changed.

I put on a late model drum when Advance Auto accidentally gave me one while changing drums on my '85 (narrow width). It left a significant amount of drum shoe showing.

On edit:
    I reckon the backing plate could have changed.
    Last edited by JeremyB; 06-28-2005 at 03:42 PM.

Feedback Score

I think getting some 8.8 TC specific length axles minus the disc brake hardware on the axle would work. Im going to call Moser up to see what length they have specified for TC axles compared to the 56in measured.
    1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
    Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

Feedback Score

I called up moser and the guy was pretty familiar with the difference between disc brake and drum difference in axle lengths. He said it would be roughly 1/2in difference, which is what I expected. But in order to get the right axles made, he needs both 7.5 and 8.8 axle lengths as well as both rear end housing-housing lengths. Ive got one source here that both 7.5 and 8.8 axles are the same length, any more sources? He claims the axles are 29 3/16in long. I need to get some exact specs on rear end lengths now. Keep ya'll posted.
    Last edited by chrome302jr; 06-28-2005 at 01:56 PM.

Feedback Score

Ronnie why not go ahead and get the stock Mustang length axles???? Will give you a little more tire to fender clearance....

My other rides (that actually do run & drive)

1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed << New 49th Birthday Picture

1972 Comet GT - 306 C4

Feedback Score

Id love to Tom but it would hurt my feelings if I got them and theyre too short. But they would be cheaper since they are not custom made. You think the 8.8 Mustang and TC rearends are the same lengths? It does make sense in order for the TC to accomodate the disc brakes. I believe Joe(bondocougar) has some mustang axles on order, Im eager to hear how they work. Later

Ronnie

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Have you read my post?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyB
    Have you read my post?
    Yes, I have read all your posts on this subject, and from what I can tell everyone seems to disagree. Its hilarious, you ask a question and someone replies "yeah sure" without any sort of evidence other than hear say.

I read your above post concerning drums etc. However, my question is very simple:

What length axles will work with a TC 8.8 with 9in drum brakes? Now guys on the corral say that the TC rearend is the same length as a Fox stang rearend. This would mean that fox stang axles would work. Now Im not getting my info from someone's text book, its coming from real world experience, which would tend to dominate theoretical values. Sometimes, they way things should be is not the same as the way they truely are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The only reason I say all the rears are the same is from corral.net/corner-carver.com searches and Kirschenbaum. I hope the threads I linked to you over on the Corral put your mind at ease.
    Last edited by JeremyB; 06-28-2005 at 04:53 PM.