Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MegaSquirt II

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default MegaSquirt II

I'm really thinking about making the switch, is anybody out there using Megasquirt? Pros, Cons, troubles, triumphs...

Anything would be helpful.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0
    GT40P, TFS-1, KB domes, 30#, MAF conversion, Explorer GT40 Upper/Lower, Smog delete, Wide Ratio AOD Mod, Unlocked Speedo, 3G Charging System Upgrade, Hi-Torque Mini Starter, 3.73 LSD, BBK 1 5/8 unequal headers, H-Pipe.

88 Thunderbird/Cougar EVTM
    (Thanks to Trinom for hosting)

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

I've had the MS1 running MSExtra code in the TBird for a while now, and I have one for each of the Volvos sitting here waiting for install.

The upside is the tunability. The downside is the tunability. I still need to tweak and dial in the tune on the TBird, but that's just a matter of taking the time to do it.

I haven't looked into running any of the MS2 stuff, mainly because I haven't felt I *needed* to, but the resolution and processing ability is better.

The biggest thing is to take the time to RTFM, which 90% of people don't do. It's not difficult, but there are some folks who have no place even thinking about attempting the conversion.

It's a great system, that while beyond my abilities to have formulated on my own, is a very useful tool. It can be a very cost-effective tuning solution if you have the skills to build your own box and harness.
    Long live the 4-eyes! - '83 Tbird Turbo

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I was considering using the EECIV relay box kit so that I don't have to futz with the engine harness. I was even thinking that I would try the new SMD based board.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0
    GT40P, TFS-1, KB domes, 30#, MAF conversion, Explorer GT40 Upper/Lower, Smog delete, Wide Ratio AOD Mod, Unlocked Speedo, 3G Charging System Upgrade, Hi-Torque Mini Starter, 3.73 LSD, BBK 1 5/8 unequal headers, H-Pipe.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

I used the relay box on the TBird, but I also built a new harness. I don't plan on using a relay box on either of the Volvos.

Seeing as the stock wiring is probably getting a little sketchy, I'd suggest a new harness.

I'm not too familiar with the new surface-mount board set-up, but I think for your average user, there's a point of diminishing returns on performance vs cost with some of the "upper end" MS stuff.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I agree, to the average guy, SMD would be more trouble than it's worth, but I've got mad skills and it makes me feel good to put them to the test. I'd just been all the way through the new car's engine harness, and I feel pretty good about it. I think once the car isn't my DD anymore it'll make more sense to run MSII, for now maybe I'll just start gathering parts.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Foe,

Did you ever go the MegaSquirt route? I am thinking of ditching the A9L and SCT chip in my Coupe and running the MegaSquirtPNP with a wide band. The reason for this is I just don't think that out of the three different guys that have dyno tuned my car anyone of them was willing to spend the time to get everything out of the combo let alone get this mofo to idle at 850 or so. I am pretty decent with a computer but being a mechanical engineer my programming skills are shit. I just don't want to get in over my head. Anyhow, just checking to see if you did the conversion or not.

Darren

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I'm thinking of making my own ECU based on Megasquirt 3 daughterboard using stock ECU case. Price of this solution seems to be very reasonable and I can use just components I really need. Every circuit is well documented, so creating it shouldn't be a big deal.
    The biggest pro is hard routing without tons of wires inside the case, like all DIY PNP units have. Only disadvantage for me is, that they don't have any basic setup for 2.3T yet.
    '85 Thunderbird TC '86 Thunderbird TC '97 Scorpio 2.3 GHIA

T-Bird / Cougar DIY stuff

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I did not. I still may, but funds are currently being diverted elsewhere.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I think I am going to go ahead and go for it but its going to be a few months until I can scratch up the funds as I want to run two wide band O2 sensors. This will allow for better tuning as I can data log each bank since each one will have a wide band. Its a lot of $$$ but I think in the long run I will at least break even with not having to go to a tuner and pay them plus dyno time as well as I can sell my A9L & SCT chip to recover some of the cost. Hopefully I can get it all bought before the end of March and start getting it installed so I can have some decent temperatures to tune the car being that late April and May are usually really nice here in OK.

Darren

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Have you thought about the 14point7 stuff for your WBO2? I've currently got one of their SLC Free B units that I've been using on the Volvo. You have to assemble the controller and make your own enclosure and harness (if you want a display), but it was under $100, with a Bosch 4.9 sensor.
    I made up mine so I can swap it between vehicles to do tuning, but you could build it in and make use of the NB output once tuning is done.