Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leaking Trunk

Feedback Score

Default Leaking Trunk

My trunk has TONS of moisture on the inside of the trunk lid and it has produced a lot of mildew on plastics, carpeting is damp but not wet or drenched and my spare tire is covered in weird webbed white frost. It's ruined a lot of stuff in my trunk and I need help with finding and fixing the leak!
    1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe ~ STOCK

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

What does the weather strip around the trunk seal look like? If it's ripped it can let water in.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

might be leaking around the rear window seal and running down into the trunk. take a piece of cardboard and lay down in there, and during the next rain, look at it to see where the drips are coming from.

Pull out you carpet and let the trunk floor get a good drying out, if possible.
    '87 Mustang notch; 5 lug, PBR calipers, 3.55 gears, SFC's, mild 5.0 with '40P's, Cobra intake, E cam, BBK headers and X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust.
    "still slower than your grandma's scooter"..

Feedback Score

I'll do the cardboard idea right now. Finding a rainy day isn't hard in WA anyways not good for the trunk though I suppose. I took Everything out except jumper cables and tool box. The weather strip isn't ripped, However I was able to lightly tug at it and it pulled straight off the lip. Could this cause it?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I do not think so

Do you have carpet back there ?

My trunk is striped and there might be a few places moister can get in but might not cause your problem if the panels are there

No rusted out spots ?

Feedback Score

I don't see any rusted out spots...there's rust in spots but nothing that has holes. Thought...pardon me if this is a stupid question, I'm a slowly learning car person. What if there's a leak in my rear window? Could this cause moisture in my trunk? When I get in my car I have to turn on my rear defroster on rainy days to get rid of the excessive moisture. Sometimes it's puddled up on the window and won't come off unless I wipe it off. Could a window leak also cause there to be moisture in the trunk?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderbirdSport302 View Post
    might be leaking around the rear window seal and running down into the trunk. take a piece of cardboard and lay down in there, and during the next rain, look at it to see where the drips are coming from.
    Pull out you carpet and let the trunk floor get a good drying out, if possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBird1987 View Post
    I don't see any rusted out spots...there's rust in spots but nothing that has holes. Thought...pardon me if this is a stupid question, I'm a slowly learning car person. What if there's a leak in my rear window? Could this cause moisture in my trunk? When I get in my car I have to turn on my rear defroster on rainy days to get rid of the excessive moisture. Sometimes it's puddled up on the window and won't come off unless I wipe it off. Could a window leak also cause there to be moisture in the trunk?
    Ahem. LOL.
    '87 Mustang notch; 5 lug, PBR calipers, 3.55 gears, SFC's, mild 5.0 with '40P's, Cobra intake, E cam, BBK headers and X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust.
    "still slower than your grandma's scooter"..

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I think that was a possibility posted

Jump in the trunk and look stuff over lol

Nothing is impossible

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Feedback Score

Here's where the water dripped last night. It looks like its coming from behind the trunk lid. So I suppose it's the leaky window then perhaps...
    http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps8e2ac4a8.jpg