Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: More Horsepower!

Feedback Score

Default More Horsepower!

Hey its me again, was just wondering if there's any tips out there for grabbing more free horsepower from a turbo 2.3. I already have a lot of the cheap "essential" mods. (Gillis valve set to 17 PSI. BOV. K&N filter + cold air intake). I'm also sending my upper and lower intake manifolds to a machine shop soon to have 'em ported 'n polished. But is there anything i'm missing? I have a feeling there is, as our awesome cars have a tendency to have hidden ponies all over the place.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Intake isn't the first thing I would start with. The exhaust is the biggest bottleneck, if you have not upgraded to a 3" down-pipe now is a good time. If you have an 88 I would also suggest a T3 turbo in place of the IHI.

http://www.turboford.org/faq/index.shtml

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

3" exhaust and gutted upper and knifed lower intake would be a good start.
    1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    1983 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    1979 Mercury Cougar XR7 302HO

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TOM Renzo View Post
    .........There is no free HP on a 2.3 or any engine for that matter. HP= $$$$$
    ^^^^^^^^What he said!

Speed is just a question of MONEY How fast can you go?
    M. M.

Ron

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by BLKBRD88 View Post
    ^^^^^^^^What he said!

Speed is just a question of MONEY How fast can you go?
    M. M.

Ron
    Yeah, I kind of used "free" horsepower as an expression lol, everything costs money. Exhaust and gutted/knifed is coming. And I'm looking at a t3 turbo soon, but wouldn't that require a bigger intercooler/bigger injectors?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I knew what you meant. Head, injectors and aftermarket ECU make a huge impact on HP and your wallet too! For now get it breathing, intake and exhaust as you plan and make sure you have good Motorcraft wires/cap/rotor. Adjustable cam gear can help tune a bit, up the fuel pressure and pull a few degrees of ignition timing....but be careful!!! That will really wake the car up and should have you happy for a while. I was faster than a stock 5.0 at that point in my old TC.

I have done some damage with the stock 35's and an LA3, they are a limiting factor but if your still kinda new to the car keep it simple for now and keep learning about it. You can find HP in a lot of places, some cheap, some not so cheap.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I think your biggest problem is no compression on cylinders 5,6,7 and 8
    2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Chicken View Post
    I think your biggest problem is no compression on cylinders 5,6,7 and 8
    lmao yeah yeah but it's lighter!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by grey88smokin View Post
    I knew what you meant. Head, injectors and aftermarket ECU make a huge impact on HP and your wallet too! For now get it breathing, intake and exhaust as you plan and make sure you have good Motorcraft wires/cap/rotor. Adjustable cam gear can help tune a bit, up the fuel pressure and pull a few degrees of ignition timing....but be careful!!! That will really wake the car up and should have you happy for a while. I was faster than a stock 5.0 at that point in my old TC.

I have done some damage with the stock 35's and an LA3, they are a limiting factor but if your still kinda new to the car keep it simple for now and keep learning about it. You can find HP in a lot of places, some cheap, some not so cheap.
    Thanks man, yeah I'm definately going to throw some of that goodness on there. I do run premium fuel 24/7, but I have the gillis set to 17 PSI. Would you say it's safe to up the timing a bit?